Get 144hz to monitor from laptop with USB-C, without displayport or dvi-d

Solution

No, it is an optional feature.
Feb 27, 2018

Will I get 144hz when I have a monitor with DisplayPort? Will this work via a USB-C to Displayport cable?

If the USB-C port supports video output, then yes. If not, then you'll need to get a monitor that supports 120+ Hz over HDMI like the ViewSonic XG2401.

EDIT: The page doesn't indicate whether the USB-C port has video output capability, so I would assume it does not.

Feb 27, 2018

Does't a USB-C port always have video output capability?

No, it is an optional feature.

Solution
Feb 27, 2018

So basically, i have a laptop with some good graphic specs which I cannot use?

You can, if you get a monitor that supports 120+ Hz over HDMI.

Feb 27, 2018

OK.
And this is also an option right?
https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG2402-FreeSync-Monitor-DisplayPort/dp/B075D1B4SV
With a HDMI 1.4 --> DisplayPort cable

Yes, but you don't need an adapter, that monitor supports 144 Hz over HDMI directly.

May 25, 2018

In response to this ... I have this exact monitor and I am trying to use it as a second monitor to my laptop. I keep getting the "exceed bandwidth error" when trying to create the 144hz refresh rate (out of the box, 120hz seems to be the highest option) ... is this exceed maximum bandwidth possibly due to the HMDI cable I am using not being able to handle the bandwidth?

I do have a laptop that says it is 1.4 HMDI out ...

Interestingly enough, when I do try to create a custom resolution (taken from another post) I can get to 126hz @ 1920x1080 before it "exceeds bandwidth" ... wondering what that is due to? What component is causing it to exceed?

Make sure you set timing standard to CVT Reduced Blank when you set custom resolutions. Other options take more bandwidth and won't support as high of refresh rates.

See Section 6.3 here:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3675170/connect-120-display-construction.html

May 25, 2018

Unfortunately, tried that as well as the CRU utility ... even though I can create the custom resolution with the CRU utility, then "restart" my graphics drivers, the custom utility created through the CRU.exe does not appear in any of the programs (display, intel, or nvidia) so that I can choose it. It is still visible in the CRU program, just doesn't populate anywhere else that i have been able to find.

It's possible that the xg2402 is simply manufacturer locked to 120hz over HMDI (like many other monitors seem to be) ... unlike it's earlier brethren the xg2401. You excellent monitor post linked state it is unverified if it does indeed do 144hz over HDMI.

The only thing I can add/reiterate to the discussion is the continued "exceed bandwidth" error (I'm still not sure which "bandwidth" it's exceeding) and the fact that I CAN get to 1920x1080 at 126hz before bandwidth is exceeded.

According to https://k.kramerav.com/support/bwcalculator.asp ... the bandwidth is 8.96 Gbps IF you are at 8 bit per pixel color depth factor (changing this does influence the bandwidth calculation on this website). At even just 10 bit per pixel color depth factor you are at 10.75 Gbps which exceeds the HDMI 1.4 bandwidth of 10.2 Gbps (that's correct?).

Though from the bandwidth calculator website I am not sure why the limit is 126hz at 1920x1080 because irrespective of the color depth factor nothing is really close to the 10.2Gbps limit of HDMI 1.4 such that it makes sense ... I may play around with seeing if I can change the color depth factor to see if that makes a difference?

Their notation is a bit off, that should be 8/10 bits per channel, not bits per pixel (x3 channels = 24 or 30 bits per pixel). They're also not accounting for timing overhead.

Use this calculator:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=calc&H=1920&V=1080&F=144

Compare to the max data rates listed on the left side. As noted though, the HDMI version doesn't really tell you the supported bandwidth; any given display could opt to support less than the allowed maximum.

Have you tried both HDMI ports?

May 25, 2018

Yep, tried both ports ... Just to make sure I understand correctly, you are implying/saying that it's likely the HDMI input ports on the monitor are where the "exceeded bandwidth" error is essentially coming from ... that somehow the bandwidth of the HDMI ports on the xg2402 are set to max out at a bandwidth of 1920x1080 @ 126hz (the custom resolution I can get before it errors out)?

Interestingly enough, the calculator you linked me to actually returns 8.32 Gbit/s for 1920x1080 at the lowest color depth when using CVT-RB timing ... this exceeds HDMI 1.3/1.4 (quoted as 8.16 Gbit/s).

Yes; although, my XG2401 still works with those timings, it seems to support slightly above the spec.

The manual states support for 144 Hz over HDMI, so it probably does support the full bandwidth. I'm not sure why it would be stopping at 126.

It's also possible (though less likely) that the laptop's HDMI out port is limited. But I doubt it.

May 25, 2018

Yes, it is interest considering I got the 126hz info from reading another post outlining someone else's experience with trying to get 144hz (trying to find the post). Seems that it's not just a coincidence that I can also only go to 126hz before getting bandwidth exceed errors.

You say it's unlikely not the laptop HDMI but I do wonder if it is to do with the laptop being display driven by the onboard GPU (Intel HD 630) as opposed to the Nvidia GPU? I do usually have to disable the laptop monitor to ensure getting the best FPS in games on my XG2402 (by going into display settings and choosing to "display only on screen 2"). I wish there was a way to force the xg2402 to be solely driven by the Nvidia GPU ... but I have been led to believe disabling the onboard GPU is not ... recommended?

Hopefully, someone else can either confirm or deny that the xg2402 is capable of 144hz over HDMI ... otherwise, I am potentially chasing a ghost trying to work out where the bandwidth is being exceeded. Assuming that even what I should be chasing ...

EDIT

Found the post ... you actually already were a large part of it ...
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/895485-144-hz-over-hdmi-monitor/
Seems he has the xg2402 like me ... perhaps it is a monitor over HDMI issue ...

Hmm. Try setting it to the following custom timings:

1U0Khc5.png

I meant as a custom resolution in NVIDIA control panel.

May 25, 2018

Well here is another ... issue? ... because I am on a laptop my NVidia control panel does not allow me to make custom resolutions, it's only available as part of the intel onboard GPU control panel.

Such as this ...
oDYDW.png

I can only create custom resolutoins via ...
ximg_56e61835a4a25.jpg.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.E3EoDq1yRW.jpg

That means you are using a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus, and your video output is currently being controlled by the CPU's integrated graphics rather than the NVIDIA card. Try going into the BIOS and seeing if there is a way of disabling NVIDIA Optimus. This is also most likely why you are unable to set 144 Hz over HDMI, if the port is being driven by the iGPU rather than the dedicated chip.

May 25, 2018

Well ... it seems now that we are really stuck.

Thanks for your help ... I've been through the BIOS and there appears no way for me to disable Optimus (that I can find). It seems, whether due to Optimus or whether due to monitor manufacturers, I am limited to some variable amount of bandwidth (that still allows me to set a custom resolution of 1920 x 1080 @ 126hz) that I am not sure how to adjust.

Perhaps with a desktop system I'd be able to really test out some more hypothesis's but until then, thanks again for your help on working through this with me ...I'd love to know if anyone in the future can confirm that the XG2402 is indeed capable of 126+ over HDMI.