Is the Screen Saver better than turning a CRT monitor off and on a lot?

barnkeeper

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I have a new Philips CRT monitor made in the 1990s but never used until now. I want this wonderful monitor to last as long as possible. I keep my PC powered on 24/7 so I can access the audio files I like using wireless speakers all over the house. When I am not going to be sitting in front of the CRT monitor for more than an hour (or all night), is it better to turn the monitor off/on or to just use the screen saver?

Solution
The screen saver just helps prevent screen burn in images. The monitor is still on. The sleep mode is the next best thing to turning the monitor off, but it still comes back on if you move the mouse or touch a key. Or you can set the monitor to shut off. All of those options can be done within Windows, but with a monitor that old some of them may not work.

I personally prefer to have a PC and monitor in sleep mode when unattended. But if I'm not using it or if storms are imminent, then I will unplug them.

If it is a quality CRT monitor, it probably will not make much difference in the longevity of the monitor.
Have you ever noticed when a light bulb burns out? Usually, it burns out when you turn it on, not while it is burning steady. A CRT is just a big light bulb and will behave the same way. It is the "turn on" surge of current that actually burns out the device.

That being said, you may save the cost of energy by turning the CRT off,

ikaz

Distinguished
Yeah just leaving it on it probably better then off and on for the longevity of the monitor but it will use a lot of power. Screen saver would be better (but again more power) however you may want to make sure there is proper ventilation in that room as the monitor will get hot. I remember my last CRT screen big o 19inch on my desk pushed all the way in corner on my desk. I didn't notice until I replaced it with a flat screen that the back of the monitor case was actually melting due to the heat over 4-5 years of use.

The screen saver just helps prevent screen burn in images. The monitor is still on. The sleep mode is the next best thing to turning the monitor off, but it still comes back on if you move the mouse or touch a key. Or you can set the monitor to shut off. All of those options can be done within Windows, but with a monitor that old some of them may not work.

I personally prefer to have a PC and monitor in sleep mode when unattended. But if I'm not using it or if storms are imminent, then I will unplug them.

If it is a quality CRT monitor, it probably will not make much difference in the longevity of the monitor.

Solution