Asus ROG Strix GL503VD Gaming Laptop Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an odd machine. I have the FX502VM and it only takes a 180w powersupply. It has the 1060 3gb in it and a i5-6300HQ. I can't imagine why this laptop with a weaker GPU would need 240w. Wouldn't think a newer gen i7 would take so much more juice. The rest of my hardware is comparable, 16gb DDR4, I added a M.2 SSD and run it along side the 7200rpm HDD, I swapped out my TN panel for a PLS.

Plus, I'm a bit surprised that they are still using the 7700 and not the 8700. It's not like the CPU's haven't been out for a bit now. Maybe an issue with the supplies from Intel.

Can't wait to see what ASUS comes up with using Ryzen and Vega.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

According to Wikipedia, Kaby Lake R mobile processor that best replaces the 7700HQ was supposed to launch in Q4 of 2017. The Asus ROG Strix that we looked at today may have been in development while the 7700HQ was still the best choice. Alternatively, your explanation of supply makes sense too.

I don't really get the point of running the gaming benchmarks at settings no one would actually use with these laptops. Half the benchmarks have all the similar systems performing below 30fps at ultra settings. That's not particularly meaningful data, since it's only putting load on the graphics card, and not telling much about how the CPU or other components contribute to performance. It won't tell anyone interested in these laptops much about what actual gaming performance will be like either. Seven out of ten of the benchmarks have the games averaging around 30fps or below, while most of those potentially using one of these laptops would likely drop settings to medium or high to maintain frame rates closer to 60fps.

As far as I know, 8th-gen mobile processors comparable to a 7700HQ are not yet available. And considering that gaming on these systems is going to be limited more by GPU performance anyway, it might be a bit of a waste to put something faster or with more cores in them, and it probably wouldn't be good for battery life to add more cores either, considering Coffee Lake is still on the same 14nm node that Intel has been using for the last 3 years.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
"The top of the box has a plastic carrying handle, which makes transporting the laptop easy."

Please tell us who goes around transporting their $1K+ laptop in $1.00+ plastic & cardboard box it comes in...

Better yet, who even thinks there are people doing that?

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Horrible price-to-performance ratio. This laptop should cost at most $799 MSRP. Won't be long before you see it 'on clearance' for about that price or lower. Yet another failure by the Asus sales marketing division.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Those encased batteries are a great way for us IT guys to make money. I get so many 'dead laptops' in and in 95% of cases it just needs the battery disconnecting, press the power button, reconnect and bingo...working laptop.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I experienced that same problem when I was troubleshooting a laptop a little while ago. I would prefer that the battery be accessible from the outside of the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.