Ryzen 2400G and the stock cooler

hnn

Commendable
Feb 28, 2018
I am going to buy Ryzen 2400G, but the cooler makes me wonder.

In many reviews people complain about it, how bad it is, makes it run close to 90C with Handbrake etc.

But I am not sure if those people's demands are quite the same as mine. What I use my computer for:

- Casual VERY LIGHT gaming. Usually just playing old IL2 Sturmovik 1946 or some strategy games. And maybe soon IL2 BoS. I don't like most games anyway, and never play the more demanding ones. That is the reason I want this processor, so I don't have to buy an expensive dedicated GPU.

- Sometimes I use Handbrake to code a few videos, usually lasts a few hours per session.

- Just normal office work, some gfx stuff etc.

One would have to assume that AMD wouldn't ship these CPU's with a cooler that is simply inadequate and may break the CPU in the long run because of heat. I live in a cold country, but like people in India have it much hotter, yet they get the same cooler with this.

In that light, as I am in a tight budget, should I just go with the stock cooler, is it good enough so I don't have to worry about it?

Another thing that makes me wonder, people in some reviews complaining how unstable it is, when starting certain games etc. it just gives you a black screen or something. Would be nice to hear from people here who owns it and has tested it for some time, how the situation actually is. I know bugs like that will be ironed out in due time, but I am not looking forward to spend my days getting annoyed by constant issues.

Thank you.

Be aware the 2400G's integrated GPU offers approximately GTX1030-levels of performance...(just so you are not expecting 1080P at high/ultra quality with 60 fps)

If you are content with 720P gaming, it might be quite a bargain, and, it is nice to not need to purchase a GPU and still be able to game.

hnn

Commendable
Feb 28, 2018
I know it is not very good, but as my gaming needs are next to nonexistent I think it'll do for now. Might buy a separate Gfx card if I'll need one, later.

But those stability and heat issues make me wonder, I would like to build something cheap and hassle free asap, not looking forward to rooting out problems and losing my nerves with them :)

xReCoiiLDaZe

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
90C is not dangerous no cpu in recent years can be hot enough to damage the cpu it will just thermal throttle. If want lower temps a 15 dollar cooler will be more then enough but i would stick with the stock one

Apr 13, 2018

i've got a ryzen 5 2400g and only have crashing and/or heat issues when overclocked (cpu @3.90ghz and igpu@1600hmz)
then the system isn't stable and crashes preety often. I don't think that this apu is only good enough for 720p gaming
i lightly overclocked my system (CPU@3.70ghz and GPU@1350mhz) and gta5 is runing playable with 45-60fps
i got anti-alliasing off techtures on normal setting and and everything else on high @1080p

full specs:
Motheboard:asus strix b350-f gaming
ram:G.skill flare x in D.O.C.P. @3200mhz
CPU:Ryzen 5 2400g @3.80ghz
GPU:vega 11 iGPU @1350mhz
CPU cooler:amd wraith stealth (box cooler)
Case:I found my case in our cellar and I assume that it's over 20 years old 'cause of a sticker that says "designed for windows 95" on it. It has no case fans. At all.
PSU:I also found my PSU in my cellar it is a cheap one from china with 450 watt and is going to be replaced soon i just don't feel comfortable with this thing.

I live in Germany so it didn't get hotter than 25 degrees C so I've mo experience withhigh room temperatures so far.

felkup

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
I had the 2400G running for a week now with the boxed Wraith Stealth cooler and fan. The maximum temperature for the APU is, according to AMD's website, 105°C, but I think 20°C below that should be a good working temperature for maximum capacity tasks.
Now, during video encoding I got CPU temperatures of 85-89°C, which is a bit higher than I'd prefer for tasks that take several hours. This was measured without any CPU overclocking. I had, however, overclocked my RAM via XMP from 2133 MHz (which is the MoBo's standard) to 2933 MHz (which comes close to the rated frequency of my modules at 3000 MHz). AMD's website has now 2667 MHz as max. frequency for system memory. Encoding another video with the same settings in Handbrake, but with the MoBo's default RAM frequency (2133 MHz) I got an average of 5°C less in CPU temperature, with measurements being stable at 80-85°C, which I like better for longer tasks.
So, if you have appropriate system cooling (nothing too fancy, but a decent airflow) and you want to use all your components with manifacturer's standards, the boxed cooler is fine. If you want to overclock, you might consider alternative cooling options.
BTW: With the little gaming I've done so far, CPU temperatures (50-70°C) haven't come close to what video encoding or photogrammetric processing produce. I haven't run any gaming benchmarks, though.

UPDATE: Got an E-Mail from AMD Tech Support stating that "90°C while encoding or while performing intensive tasks is an expected behaviour. The CPU and cooler is performing as it should. [...] However, running the CPU consistenly at higher temperature is not recommended."