BSOD Page fault in nonpaged area

nathanho

Prominent
Feb 25, 2018
Just built a PC for gaming (specs below) and I have been trying to play two games, Fortnite and Rainbow Six Siege. These games either keep crashing randomly, or in the case with siege I keep getting a BSOD with the error PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. The only time I get a BSOD is when playing siege and normally takes about 10 minutes to happen, but can even happen when just sitting in the menu. I previously had blue screen issues cause of non updated drivers (using new Ryzen 2200g APU) but I did a clean install of windows and checked specifically every driver was correct. I read this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3128626/fix-windows-error-page-fault-nonpaged-area.html and did everything till the last step. I did the last step but I cannot actually tell if it has stopped the blue screens as my games still crash, but just crash to the desktop so they don't last long enough to see if a BSOD would happen. This is my first PC build, so I could have missed installing certain things, but I cannot figure out what the problem is.
My system:
Ryzen 2200g
Gigabyte AB350m gaming
8GB Corsair Vengeance (Boosted to 3200MHz from bios)
Windows 10

EDIT:
I changed my paging back to automatic and got blue screens once again. This time with the code DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The dump file for this can be found from: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1q2g6j3rqgR-WoL_Vxr9-efn77mLbvxsp

Solution
8 cycles just meant run the test 8 or so times, as some errors don't always show up on the 1st run. You appear to have identified the problem, the drivers were too new to be the cause.

nathanho

Prominent
Feb 25, 2018

Sorry, I meant the page file size step, I haven't checked my ram yet. I took a look at other drivers I could have missed on gigabytes site, and installed some realtek audio and Lan drivers. I'm not actually sure if I needed to do this, cause I had checked the drivers for them individually on windows earlier, but I did it anyways just in case. There's also some RAID drivers on there, but I don't think that applies to me. I tried running siege after updating and restarting and it crashed again, but just to the desktop with no blue screen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how big did you make it? the step just says to set a custom amount but doesn't really go into details. TBH, I would just set it back to Auto and we can see if BSOD return and then we can capture the dump file and analyse it.

Don't need raid drivers unless you running raid

nathanho

Prominent
Feb 25, 2018

They had on the video to change it to 1.5x and 4x my ram, but since some of my ram goes to the graphics side I just done it as if I had 6GB of ram. I'll change it back to automatic now and try get the BSOD again. Do I need to do anything else before I try get the BSOD, with regards to capturing the dump file?

Colif

Win 11 Master
silly me, i forgot this step:

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

nathanho

Prominent
Feb 25, 2018

So good news, I managed to get a BSOD and dump file, which I'll link on this forum. Bad news is, the BSOD had a different code saying DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Although this sounds like a driver issue, as with the other code so I think I could have an outdated driver, I just have no idea what it could be.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/SCA8.html

File: 022818-17968-01.dmp (Feb 28 2018 - 09:14:57)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)]
Probably caused by: NETIO.SYS (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

Motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x#kf
You have the latest version of BIOS installed for your system, version F22b.

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

nathanho

Prominent
Feb 25, 2018

I updated my Lan drivers as you suggested, but I got a blue screen once again. I'm not sure what the error code was for this but this is the link to the dump file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vpkl9tUidTfSDiGIdE50HaJhsKuUUwW7

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/y3Lf.html

File: 030118-17796-01.dmp (Mar 1 2018 - 14:22:55)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by: atikmdag.sys (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
atikmdag.sys is part of chipset drivers, and the version you have is from Feb this year so its not like its old or anything. It would be the driver used by APU to run igpu, since its normally found in GPU drivers.

Did you ever test ram? Try running memtest86 on the ram. If you have more than 1 stick, test them one at a time. Any errors higher than 0 are too many, it means you need to get a replacement stick.

it creates a bootable USB so don't need windows to run it. Run it for about 8 cycles.

Its possible the only times you use the parts of the stick that are bad is when running games, as the bad area could be in parts of stick not normally needed. Just checking really as it seems odd a brand new driver would be the problem. Unlike Nvidia, AMD drivers haven't been suspect for a while.

nathanho

Prominent
Feb 25, 2018

Ok, I'll try that this afternoon. Would having my ram set to 3200Mhz in the bios (rather than the original 2133) make any difference to the tests?

nathanho

Prominent
Feb 25, 2018

Running them now, what do you mean by 8 cycles? As in to do it 8 times or?

nathanho

Prominent
Feb 25, 2018

Good news, one of my ram sticks had many errors, so the issues are from faulty ram. I checked it on other slots as well to see if it was the mobo but it still had errors. I don't think the speed would have changed it as it one was working fine. I'll change the ram and see how it goes. Thanks for all the assistance, you've been very helpful to a newby at PC building.