PC freezes followed by multiple BSODs (Hard disk/Memory/something else?!) - No bootable device is detected.

SouthTV

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Hello!
For the last few days I've experienced some problems with my computer that I am really bothered by since it comes really frequently lately.
So I was playing CS:GO and my PC just froze, I couldn't ctrl+alt+delete, couldn't move the cursor, the keyboard was unresponsive. It stayed like that for several seconds then the PC restarted and showed me an error " !!! Warning !!! - No bootable device is detected. System will enter the BIOS Setup Utility."
If I reset the computer from the reset case button it does the same thing, however if I shutdown the computer directly from the case button and I turn it on again it works, the PC turns on and after several minutes of gaming or browsing it does it again. (not very often if I only browse)

I got really scared of losing everything I have in my PC so I backed up all the pictures and files I had.
I decided to reinstall the windows after I've seen that the problem might be from corupted windows files.

Now with a brand new Windows 10 I have updated every single driver I have and unfortunately the problem came back. The same "No bootable device is detected" after every BSODs. Sometimes it doesn't BSOD but freezes, followed by a black screen and it restarts with the "No bootable" message.

BSODs:
First: UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION
Second: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (What failed: volmgrx.sys)
Third: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED
Fourth: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (What failed: dxdmms2.sys)

I got every BSOD for at least two times each. Also, inbetween the bluescreens I've tried everything I've found on the internet to fix them.

I tried to:
- Unplug hard disk cables.
- Switched SATA 6GB/s slot multiple times.
- Switched RAM slots.
- Did every disk scan Windows 10 has.
- Used MemTest86 (Around 2 hours and a half to check) - No errors
- Used multiple software to check my Hard Disk health - Everything passed except a particular software that showed me I had a problem with "SATA downshift error count". On other software it passed the test.
- Updated BIOS.
- The Windows is updated to the latest version.

I've probably done more but I don't remember at this moment. I wanted to see your opinion on this before buying another hard disk because with the other BSODs I thought my RAM failed so I am a bit skeptical.

Solution
Think right now your hdd is more of a concern. Most hdd testing software does not always test for the SATA downshift error count. I really think you need to replace that drive see if the other errors vanish. This hdd could have more than the hdd bios failure due to the symptoms your are experiencing. Backup any files you may need.

Run windows Update first once you get a new drive installed.

Dave8671

Distinguished
We need your computer brand and model and any GPU you have installed. These types of errors are driver related in most cases.

Lets go down the list

volmgrx.sys This one is your sound driver to test this In Device Manager disable it. I think the driver is wrong this can cause the BSOD.

Third: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED this has not reason so think its related to the other errors.

Next

dxdmms2.sys this is an issue with Geforce GUI cards read this

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/895902/blue-screen-dxgmms2-sys/

Last about the hard drive testing this

SATA downshift error count
A degradation of this parameter can be an indicator of drive age or potential electromechanical problems backup your data. Check your cable on the HDD make sure its snapped in not loose. I do not know what you used to test the drive. have you tried cystaldiskinfo if not download it here. this flags anything parameter yellow or red, red replace the drive yellow the drive is aging etc. This also will show you the temp for your drive.

https://crystalmark.info/en/download/

SouthTV

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
I've just turned on my PC and I got once again the "No bootable device is detected. System will enter the BIOS Setup Utility." but this time right after I turned the PC on, usually it does it after I use it for a while.

volmgrx.sys: I have a lot of devices in my "Audio inputs and outputs" and "Sound, video and game controllers", I'm not sure which one I should disable.

Audio inputs and outputs:
Headset Earphone (HyperX Virtual Surround Sound)
Line In (3- Scarlett Solo) [Which is my microphone]
Cable A Input/Output
Cable B Input/Output (I use some virtual cables)

Sound, video and game controllers:
HD Pro Webcam C920
HyperX Virtual Surround Sound
Intel(R) Display Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Realtek High Definition Audio
Scarlett Solo
VB-Audio Cable A
VB-Audio Virtual Cable

dxdmms2.sys: I've just used DDU to install a clean and up to date driver. (I will come back if I get the BSOD regarding this again)

SATA downshift error count: I did use CrystalDiskInfo but I installed it again and checked the Health once again. Everything seems to be good, every attribute name has a blue circle, the temperature is 24-25C and the Health Status is "Good". However, there is no "SATA downshift error count" on the list.
I've used other softwares like: HDTune, HDDScan, Seagate SeaTools. On HDDScan which is the only one that tells me this, the "SATA downshift error count" has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. (I checked it again right now)

My PC-Specs:
Intel i5 4690 3.5
Nvidia GeForce 780 GHz
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
8GB Corsair RAM
1TB SSHD

I always keep my Nvidia driver up to date.
I do not know much about Audio drivers tho, I've used Driver Booster to install it.

EDIT: I just got another BSOD, this time everything slowed down, the browser wouldn't load, taskbar was frozen when I tried to enter task manager, after I right clicked the desktop to refresh, the PC froze and the BSOD came in with "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED"

Dave8671

Distinguished
Think right now your hdd is more of a concern. Most hdd testing software does not always test for the SATA downshift error count. I really think you need to replace that drive see if the other errors vanish. This hdd could have more than the hdd bios failure due to the symptoms your are experiencing. Backup any files you may need.

Run windows Update first once you get a new drive installed.

Solution

SouthTV

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
That is true, yesterday I bought an 250GB SSD and installed the windows on it. I waited to post if it's fixed or not to make sure everything works properly.
Indeed, now it's fixed.

Thanks @Dave8671.