Move Windows Onto SSD - Keep files and programs on HDD

stefanwilkinson24

Prominent
Sep 28, 2017
So,
My Dad has got a new SSD and he wants to put Windows 7 onto it, but keep all of his files and folders on the HDD along with his programs. Just have the OS booting from the SSD. I can move files from the HDD desktop to the desktop on the SSD but finding individual parts of one program will be difficult. My Dad needs information on the program 'Quicken Deluxe' as he uses it for banking and stuff. But what makes it harder is that the SSD is 120Gb and all of the files are like 500Gb big.

So, put windows on SSD
Keep primary programs on HDD (Can't reinstall any of them because of data loss)
Keep files on HDD

Thank you for your time,
- Me

Also, I do have the CD and product key of the Windows 7 install.

There's no direct way to do that. You could install windows on SSD and see if an of programs installed on HDD would work from there. Ones that do not work would have to be reinstalled but that necessarily means their data would be lost. If things are all that important, a full backup should be regularly made anyway, specially when you want to do things like that.

USAFRet

Titan

There is no easy way to do this.

When an application (ex. Quicken) is installed, it makes dozens , sometimes thousands, of entries in the Registry and elsewhere.
A new OS on a different drive will not know about them.
Some applications may work, but that is completely trial and error.

For Quicken, you could possibly discover where that data is stored.
Install a new OS on the SSD
Install Quicken on the SSD
Tell the new Quicken application where the original data is.
Maybe.

And as above, you need to be doing full backups. Especially before and during major hardware/software changes.

TRENDING THREADS