Watchdog timeout error bsod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2018
Hello I just reinstalled Windows to fix a problem I had before and now when I try to install programs or just let the PC sit in idle and I keep getting the clock_watchdog_timeout error bsod and its getting on my nerves BC I can't do anything on my pc and when I had windows installed before I had no bsod so I'm confused now

Solution
a watchdog timeout means a some hardware did not respond within a timeout period.

generally video is 2 seconds, drives are 30 second. other devices have other timeout periods.

generally, you want to go to your motherboard vendors website and make sure you have installed the motherboard drivers (not the utilities , and no overclocking drivers)

also, if you just reinstalled windows, windows will do a lot of updates and will attempt to install generic drivers for certain hardware you might need the custom drivers that the motherboard vendor supplies.

also, windows will install updated GPU drivers be sure to reboot the system before you go to the GPU vendors website to update the GPU drivers. Make sure you install the motherboard...
a watchdog timeout means a some hardware did not respond within a timeout period.

generally video is 2 seconds, drives are 30 second. other devices have other timeout periods.

generally, you want to go to your motherboard vendors website and make sure you have installed the motherboard drivers (not the utilities , and no overclocking drivers)

also, if you just reinstalled windows, windows will do a lot of updates and will attempt to install generic drivers for certain hardware you might need the custom drivers that the motherboard vendor supplies.

also, windows will install updated GPU drivers be sure to reboot the system before you go to the GPU vendors website to update the GPU drivers. Make sure you install the motherboard sound driver.
(common for old sound drivers from the motherboard to mess up the GPU sound driver and cause a timeout)

also, check control panel device manager for devices that are not installed. Windows plug and play will try to install the generic driver but if that fails, it just retries over and over until you get a watchdog timeout.
that looks like the CPU core failed.

if you can not figure out the problem, you have to change the memory dump type from minidump to a kernel memory dump then wait for the next bugcheck and provide the c:\windows\memory.dmp file
it will contain the proper debug info to see what is not responding.

other things that can cause timeouts: old bios versions that don't have proper support for the installed hardware drivers (sata drivers, chipset drivers, and USB 3.0 drivers)

you can get timeouts caused by old versions of firmware in SSD or any USB devices that have firmware updates.

all the different sources makes it kind of hard to figure this out without looking at a kernel memory dump using the windows debugger.

Solution
Mar 6, 2019

also, windows will install updated GPU drivers be sure to reboot the system before you go to the GPU vendors website to update the GPU drivers. Make sure you install the motherboard sound driver.
(common for old sound drivers from the motherboard to mess up the GPU sound driver and cause a timeout)

also, check control panel device manager for devices that are not installed. Windows plug and play will try to install the generic driver but if that fails, it just retries over and over until you get a watchdog timeout.
that looks like the CPU core failed.

if you can not figure out the problem, you have to change the memory dump type from minidump to a kernel memory dump then wait for the next bugcheck and provide the c:\windows\memory.dmp file
it will contain the proper debug info to see what is not responding.

other things that can cause timeouts: old bios versions that don't have proper support for the installed hardware drivers (sata drivers, chipset drivers, and USB 3.0 drivers)

you can get timeouts caused by old versions of firmware in SSD or any USB devices that have firmware updates.

all the different sources makes it kind of hard to figure this out without looking at a kernel memory dump using the windows debugger.
I was getting these very frequently, including freez crashes & reboots, now my PC won't even post, I really need help I can't decide if my motherboard or cpu is the cause

Status
Not open for further replies.