Windows 10 Licensing Key needed

Feb 27, 2018
Hello,

I'm in the process of buying parts to build a PC for the first time. I've identified the parts I want and am just a little unclear of how obtaining and installing Windows 10 works.

I've watched some youtube videos where you simply download Windows 10 to a usb stick and boot from the stick and the OS install process starts. However do I need to purchase a licence first for this to work? Will I have the option to purchase the licence after the OS installs or will it simply not install until I get a licence key?

I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I put this thing together. Thanks!

Solution
Go to newegg or such and buy a copy of windows 10 which includes a usb stick.
You will get both a usb stick with install media on it as well as the license key.

If you want, you can download windows 10 directly from Microsoft and put it on your own usb stick for install.
You can order the license key from newegg and they will send you an email with the key on it.

bignastyid

Titan
You can run Win 10 unlicensed but you won't be able to use personalization options. You can buy a key directly from Microsoft or from other licensed resellers like Newegg and Amazon. A key for Win 10 home edition is usually $80-$90. Beware gray market key sites that sell for much less than retail as they are not authorized sellers. So any problem with the key that may arise(key becoming invalid being an all too common problem with such keys) and Microsoft will not help or give you a new key.

Colif

Win 11 Master
To get a license, you need to buy win 10 from a store such as directly from Microsoft or another retail store - it doesn't offer them in the install process yet. Just be careful who you buy it off, it should be about $100 so if you can get it way cheaper, its likely too good to be true. Many companies sell volume license keys which aren't legit for home users, and might be cancelled by Microsoft at any time leaving you without a key.

The license costs money, the installer itself is free. That is how people can download it themselves and use latest version of Win 10 without patching up from a base version every time you install.

You can run win 10 without a key by just clicking "I don't have a key" when it first installs but if you can afford a key, I would do so as there are no guarantees Win 10 will continue to work without a key. MS let you do this so you can install 1st and buy key later.

Go to newegg or such and buy a copy of windows 10 which includes a usb stick.
You will get both a usb stick with install media on it as well as the license key.

If you want, you can download windows 10 directly from Microsoft and put it on your own usb stick for install.
You can order the license key from newegg and they will send you an email with the key on it.

Solution