Need Assistance with PC Part Selection and Upgrade Decisions

iAlexander

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
Overview: I'm looking to upgrade my desktop as some games and game development engines I run for personal and educational reasons are pushing my CPU to it limits and I thought whilst I upgrade my said CPU I might as well upgrade my GPU and Motherboard aswell.

Approximate Purchase Date: Not to fussed however the sooner the better.

Budget Range: My price roof is pretty high (~$4000AUD) but would prefer value for money over just getting the best and most expensive. If its costly but last me 4 maybe 5+ years then I’m more than happy.

Software/Performance Requirements: I would preferably like to run games, new and old on high to ultra settings (I’m comfortable with falling back to medium to high after a number of years; preferable at least 3 though I would prefer to stay higher). I also need (and the main reason for the upgrade) to run game development and modelling software smoothly; things like Maya, Unity etc. Lastly I would like the ability to record/stream though I suspect meeting the previous two requirement will mean this is fulfilled.

Peripherals: Already have monitors, a mouse and keyboard so no need to worry about that.

Upgrade Desires:
CPU: I'm considering a high end i7 to somewhat future proof my system.
CPU Preferred brand: I only want an Intel CPU.
GPU: I'm thinking of going with a 1080 or 1080Ti, again to last me a while however they are very expensive so if anyone thinks I'm overdoing it I'm open to suggestion.
GPU Preferred brand: I would like a Nvidia card of either eVGA or ASUS.
Motherboard: I will do research to better understand any responses but frankly I don't really know how high or low I should go with the Motherboard however I'm assuming it would be wise to upgrade from my current one.

Addition things I need help with: So as expressed my main upgrade interests lie with my CPU, GPU and Motherboard but I suspect that I might have to upgrade my cooling and power supply to accommodate the upgrades I desire so I'm wondering if that is indeed the case and if so; am I better off buying a completely new PC and selling the entire old system to a friend for cheap rather than selling individual parts.
If I do need a new cooling system/power supply my brand preference doesn't lie anywhere so whatever will do the trick. Also due to my lack of knowledge I do not plan on overclocking or running SLI.
Also will I need to get a better case to fit the upgrades and or allow for better airflow/cooling?
OS: I’m planning on buying a new motherboard which I believe means I will need a new version of Windows. However I do have a Windows 10 installation disk, will that suffice of will it ask for a new verification key when installed on a new motherboard?

Current Desktop Specifications:
CPU: Intel i5-4590 3.3GHZ 4Cores 6MB Cache LGA1150
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance LGA 1150
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW 4GB GDDR5
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Power Supply: EVGA 600W 600B Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze
Windows: Microsoft Windows 10 64 Bit
Dual, sometimes Triple Monitor Setup (1080p might upgrade in the future) (3rd 'monitor' is when I run my output through my Xbox to display stuff on a bigger screen TV screen")

First Round Selections; if you guys recommend buying a completely new system (If not only pay attention to the before mention parts I wish to upgrade):
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K Unlocked LGA 1151 CPU - BX80677I77700K
Motherboard: ASUS Strix H270F Gaming Intel Motherboard
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400MHz RAM - Red - CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 250GB 3D NAND SSD & Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - WD20EFRX
Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-04 Mid Tower Gaming Case - Black/Grey
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 750W 80+ Gold RGB Modular Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Riing RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC 11GB Graphics Card
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24D5MT Black SATA DVD Burner

The above plus assembly, Windows OS and Office comes to $3586AUD (Additional cost (postage, tax) not included; last time it was a bit above $200AUD which brings the grand total to about $3800AUD) at centrecom which is a very tall order for me. My main wish for the system is longevity which I understand will keep the price high but if the price can be shaved without big hits to longevity and performance then I’m all ears.

Addition constraints: I'm based in Australia, Victoria so delivery to this location is a must and without ludicrous shipping fees is preferred (Bought my current desktop from centrecom and was happy with it). I would also prefer to buy all parts from one place and if going for a new system; also having said place build it for me as I haven't any knowledge on building PCs myself and for the prices/items I'm considering I'd rather professionals handle it for piece of mind. Noise isn’t really an issue as I’m used to my current desktop being reasonably loud and also I like colorful lights and all that nonsense so colorful internals is a bonus for me (If it doesn’t bump the price much).

For anyone who helps me out I sincerely thank you in advance. :)

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

buying new you want something like this:

PCPartPicker part list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/836wP3
Price breakdown by merchant: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/836wP3/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - R1 Universal 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($169.00 @ Umart)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($255.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($205.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($1289.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($128.00 @ Shopping Express)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24D5MT DVD/CD Writer ($16.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $2809.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-05 16:20 AEDT+1100