[CONFIRMED WORKING] E3 1240 with Asus P8B75 M LX

tayicknay

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
Hi ladies and gents,

I'm looking at an inexpensive E3 1240 (not v2, not v3) for my older rig. Currently, it's running Pentium G860, dual-core, sandy bridge in asus p8b75 m lx motherboard. It's a good rig, with 8 gigs of ram and HD6670 that runs (or ran, haven't been gaming much on it lately) games pretty well, like the Tomb Raider, LoL, Heroes and Generals, Far Cry 3. It's currently my only rig since I left my main one with my lil bro, and I moved away, got a job. Making hella money now, and I could probably afford a new CPU but this deal is too good to miss out for me.

I would accept this deal in an instant, but I wonder if my motherboard would as well?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
The E3-1240 is not listed on the official CPU compatibility list: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8B75M_LX/HelpDesk_CPU/
Might work, might not. I personally don't like to take chances and would get something listed.
What about an i7? Can you find a good deal on i7-2700K or maybe i7-3700/3770K. These would be more powerful.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
The Plus one doesn't list it either: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8B75M_LX_PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/
Likely it will work. If you are going to try make sure you can return the processor before you buy just in case.
How much are you looking at paying for the processor and is it new or used?

tayicknay

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
Thanks guys. I couldn't find anywhere anything about e3 1240 working with my mother board, except v2, v3, or 1230 and 1245. Your words encouraged me to try it and it's working. I put it in, and the first time I turned on the PC it would POST and shut down, I was like "Hell, no" but I forgot to connect the CPU fan, lol. Gave myselfa little heart attack. Currently, with only game I currently have to test it with, I started up Minecraft. I'd get 100% CPU utilization with G860, but this baby doesn't go above 30% (on overall graph in task manager). I know that's not some benchmark, but I'm gonna post cinebench results soon.

This CPU was used in a server Poweredge T110 (I think that's the one). I got it for a litle over 80 bucks (500 kunas in Croatia). This was such a steal; new Pentium G860 is double that on Newegg; on ebay the lowest I could find an e3 1240/1230 was around $100; Intel I7 2600, also on ebay, for 100 bucks plus a whooping 40 dollars shipping fee; on our local popular advertisement website the lowest 1155 CPU was an i5 3470 for a little more than 80 dollars (550 kunas, so some 10 dollars more).

I am so glad it's working, I'm so glad I had a chance to upgrade this old rig; I've been long due since this PC hasn't gotten an upgrade since I bought it. And for programming, running Android Studio, compiling and playing a game or two here and there, it's gona be perfect.

I was ready to drop the offer since I coudn't find any info on compatiblity, but thanks for assuring me, guys.

CB results just in;

gbFBxNB.png

Fun fact, my dual xeon x5460 scored a bit higher than that, 627.

Cheers