Really needing help with an audio issue, no one seems to know how to fix it

Feb 20, 2018
Every 2-5 seconds, my audio stutters and makes a sort of choppy buzzing noise. It is sometimes accompanied by a bit of lag in the audio. The issue resolves itself temporarily when I restart my computer, but it doesn't take very long for it to start happening again: If I restart, usually the problem is back within half an hour.
I have been looking for a solution for months to no avail and have already asked on some other forums. I would really appreciate help.

This happens regardless of whether I use my headphones or loudspeakers, and regardless of whether I use the integrated amplifier or my PC's built-in headphone jack. To be sure it was actually my computer I even went as far as borrowing my brother's headphones, and it made no difference. I am absolutely positive it is my computer and not an issue with my headphones/speakers/amp.

I have been searching around on the web for a solution, and I have tried the following things (none of which have worked):

- Changed power settings
- Disabled RealTek and nvidia sound in device manager (since I can just play sound through my integrated amplifier)
- Changed bitrate in sound settings
- Turned off sound enhancements
- Tried different applications to play sound (Spotify, Chrome, Microsoft Edge)

I am not sure where to go from here and I would like some advice on how to proceed. In advance, thank you very much for your time.

Specs

Windows 10
64 bit
i5 6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
GTX 1060

Solution
generally, it will be two audio devices responding to the same audio channel. most often it will be motherboard audio drivers that are conflicting with graphic audio drivers or add on audio products.

most often just disabling the device in device manager will not work, you might be able to disable the motherboard sound hardware in bios so the hardware does not respond to the DMA channels.
(also after disabling the BIOS sound hard ware, save the setting so the bios rebuilds the database of hardware setting that is sent to the windows Plug and play)

Note most motherboard vendors will have updated motherboard sound drivers that resolve various sound conflict issues. Some systems will require bios updates for certain USB sound devices...
generally, it will be two audio devices responding to the same audio channel. most often it will be motherboard audio drivers that are conflicting with graphic audio drivers or add on audio products.

most often just disabling the device in device manager will not work, you might be able to disable the motherboard sound hardware in bios so the hardware does not respond to the DMA channels.
(also after disabling the BIOS sound hard ware, save the setting so the bios rebuilds the database of hardware setting that is sent to the windows Plug and play)

Note most motherboard vendors will have updated motherboard sound drivers that resolve various sound conflict issues. Some systems will require bios updates for certain USB sound devices.

there are also some other causes of this, cases where Microsoft updates the base GPU driver but does not update the GPU sound driver. (generally caused because the windows update requires a reboot to complete the install, while the GPU vendor update does not require a reboot)

you can check a memory dump for the driver dates and install locations used. but most people should just reboot the machine, run the full NVidia GPU install (with GPU sound driver) then reboot the system again

also, they should go to the motherboard vendors website and update the motherboard sound driver and reboot and see if they get problems.

Solution