Headset Microphone not working in windows 10

matthewchalouhi

Reputable
Mar 6, 2018
So my headset mic doesn't input any audio. I've tried almost everything I could think of to try and troubleshoot the problem, and I've also read countless forums online. I tied using different headsets, all of which worked with other devices. I've re-installed my audio drivers, and even made sure windows is up to date. I'm pretty sure it's not a motherboard problem as i tried using the rear IO, and made sure that the front IO was connected properly. I think it might be a windows problem, but i'm not sure though because this is a new system I recently built. Please give any ideas you have, i really just wanna play games with some of my friends and make the jump to PC gaming and leave my PS4 behind.

matthewchalouhi

Reputable
Mar 6, 2018
Yes, I can hear audio from my PC but my mic is picking up any audio. Even in control panel it displays that it detects the mic, but the green bars don't light up when i talk through it.

datoasteroven

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
You need to go to the microphone settings (right click on the default sound icon in the task bar, then select "recording devices") and set that microphone as the default. While you are at the screen you might as well talk into the mic and see if the green bars are moving. If they are moving, setting it as default will mean it will work. If not download another driver version.

matthewchalouhi

Reputable
Mar 6, 2018

I have tried doing this several times but i never tried downloading a different driver version. I'm gonna try doing that.

datoasteroven

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Are the headsets that your are trying to plug in PS4 headsets with a single 3.5mm jack? If so that is your issue (even if they aren't PS4 headsets) If the headset only has a single 3.5mm jack then you have to buy an adapter something like this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071NDLCGC/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1520480879&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pc+headset+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=41inLd2qDcL&ref=plSrch)

matthewchalouhi

Reputable
Mar 6, 2018
I have tried to use standalone a mic and it is still not recording audio. I can guarantee you that it is not a problem with my mic, or IO. It is most definitely either a drivers or windows problem that is not reading any audio input. Period.

matthewchalouhi

Reputable
Mar 6, 2018

I'll try to reinstall windows, and thank you for taking the time and helping me.