28" 4K UHD monitor running on old laptop?

Mar 6, 2018
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a 28" Samsung 28" UE590 UHD Monitor mainly for Lightroom and photoshop editing for my partner.

She has an older laptop, these are the specs that I know she has:

- Older generation i7 processor
- 8GB RAM
- 512 GB HDD (Not SSD)
- Dedicated 1gb Vram graphics card

I'm guessing the system won't be able to support the full 4k resolution? Would it just be a waste to buy that sort of monitor to run it on her laptop?

Cheers

Solution
Well....hold on for a sec...in the first post you say "dedicated 1gb vram graphics card" and in the second post you say "GTX 950M 4GB".

The GTX 950M 4GB is WAY MORE POWERFUL.

So if THIS is the card that is being used....then that changes everything.

I'm not sure if the 950 will do what you want but IT HAS A MUCH BETTER CHANCE TO.
Well....being it's an i7....it will probably support most graphics cards. Do you know which i7?

Now the graphics card that's in there...is very weak....so as far as supporting 4K....it definitely won't in games. As far as a 4K picture.....I have no idea.

...but my point is...there's a good chance you can put in a much better card and get much closer to what you want.

Mar 6, 2018
Hey Jay,

I got the actual specs of the laptop:

Notebook / Laptop ASUS 15.6 '' F550JX, FHD, Intel Core i7-4720HQ processor 2.6GHz Haswell, 8GB, 1TB, GeForce GTX 950M 4GB, FreeDos, Dark Gray

Does this help?

I'm not sure if the HDMI version in the laptop will be able to push 4k to the monitor?

Well....hold on for a sec...in the first post you say "dedicated 1gb vram graphics card" and in the second post you say "GTX 950M 4GB".

The GTX 950M 4GB is WAY MORE POWERFUL.

So if THIS is the card that is being used....then that changes everything.

I'm not sure if the 950 will do what you want but IT HAS A MUCH BETTER CHANCE TO.

Solution