What is the bests CPU/Motherboard combination for HTPC?

8daysaweek

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2013
I'm building a new PC to use as a HTPC, eg: a PVR in a PC.
Using a: TBS 6205 DVB-T2 DVB-C Quad TV Tuner PCIe Card.
OS: I would prefer Windows 7, but it seems that I'm being forced to use Window 10.
I've considered Linux, but that seems to be another minefield?

I've been spending a lot of time trying to decide on the CPU/Motherboard combination.
I've decided to go for an Intel CPU, but should I go for:
a: Middle of the road CPU, eg: Intel Core i5-7600K @ 3.80GHz
which has a benchmark of: 9158 ( at: cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php )
Or go with the latest series, such as: Intel Core i5-8600K @ 3.60GHz
which has a benchmark of: 12787

One main concern is that I don't want to end up with a CPU/Motherboard combination, that quickly becomes unusable because Microsoft stops providing driver updates, or major updates, or OS Updates, etc,.

Which I gather is an looming problem with Windows 7 with pre Series 7 CPU's

Many thanks.

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Microsoft doesn't make the drivers for your motherboard or CPU. You shouldn't worry much about Microsoft dropping support from Windows 7. The problem tends to be more about security instead of drivers. Linux is fine with Intel CPUs and there are drivers for Linux. The problem usually stems from more problems with the GPU on Linux, AKA gaming. Linux is less intensive CPU-wise if you really need as much power from your process as you can get, but you really shouldn't with either processor.

If you're not planning on watching absurd 8k video, and only 4k or less, the 7600k is more than powerful enough for doing that and you can save a quick buck. Also, z270 motherboards are quite cheaper than z370 motherboards.

is this PC going to be used for anything else then streaming TV? if only for TV and media then you can use linux and kodi

yea the only CPU's that will easily let you install windows 7 now are intel 5th gen and AMD FX (maybe some A series) CPU's

i do find windows 10 is more suited for a HTPC config though because of it's full screen start menu option and has streaming apps like Netflix and amazon prime available