Corrupt the data files on a computer so that they cant be recovered.

Mar 8, 2018
Hi Community,

I am trying to learn a new thing as i work in IT deptt of an organization and I saw a problem with one of our client machine.
He was able to access his computer however all the information on his computer was encrypted like you can see the files but you could not see the content.
I believe it was because of some ransomware so we had to clean everything and then we reinstalled windows. We also tried to recover the data but that didnt work.

Now I have a VM ware setup and in order to learn this all i want to test that machine by myself encrypting everything which cant be recovered and then try and recover it.

Anyone please suggest me with what I can do corrupt everything and then play with it.

Solution

Without the password for BitLocker or VeraCrypt, the most you might see is a large encrypted volume. No seeing the "files" in it.
And absolutely no possibility of "recovery".

And BitLocker is full disk encryption. Not just 'some of the files'.
What was used for making the backup, and what happened when you tried to restore the data? I use Macrium Reflect, and haven't had any problems with it. Easeus Todo Backup is another good backup program. It sounds like you need a more reliable backup program. If you have corrupt data and no viable backup, your only option is to recreate the data.

Mar 8, 2018

Thanks for the reply buddy..

I am not looking to know the backup techniques as that computer is gone now. I want to learn to corrupt that data myself on a virtual machine and then fix it myself on that computer.
I want to learn how to purposely corrupt the information on a computer(I will do it on a virtual machine) and I want to corrupt it to that extent that it cant be recovered. ONLY DATA NOT OS.
Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan

The way you "fix it" is to recover the relevant data from last nights backup.
There are multiple ways to corrupt or encrypt the data so that you absolutely cannot recover it. Ever. At all.

VeryCrypt, BitLocker, dead HDD...

Mar 8, 2018

If I use BitLocker or Veracrypt would i still be able to see that there are files but i cant access them?
Can u send me some link with some more explanation of this.
HDD dead -- NO i dont want to physically damage anything.

Thank you so much for your response.

USAFRet

Titan

Without the password for BitLocker or VeraCrypt, the most you might see is a large encrypted volume. No seeing the "files" in it.
And absolutely no possibility of "recovery".

And BitLocker is full disk encryption. Not just 'some of the files'.

Solution
Mar 8, 2018

And if i have got some ransomeware on my computer like wannacry and that has encrypted my files.
Is there any way i can recover my data? Recovery softwares works on that?

USAFRet

Titan

Only for some of the ransomware encryption schemes.
Some of them...you are 100% out of luck.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2084002/security/how-to-rescue-your-pc-from-ransomware.html

A good backup routine is better than poke and hope with trying to "fix" the encrypted data.

As USAFRet says, you need to focus on a good reliable backup program, not in trying to recover destroyed data. Remember the backup is the ounce of prevention, the pound of cure is nowhere failsafe, and it can be painful and very time consuming.