PC blue screens every few days

Matfat779

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
A few months ago I got a Ryzen 1700 and a new mobo ram and psu. I then overclocked the 1700 to 3.8ghz with no issues. About a month later I decided to upgrade my case so I swapped in all of my parts booted it up and then a few hours later my screen freezes then goes black then my PC restarts. I booted it back up to check the event viewer and found the error "Kernel-Power Event ID: 41".
So I stress tested my CPU and GPU for an hour each with no issues. I also ran the windows memory diagnostic tool as well as memtest86 both finding zero issues. I also cleared the cmos and I swapped out my gpu which didnt help. I then Replaced the mobo and PSU as they seemed to be the only parts that could be causing the issue, but after a couple of hours, I get the same black screen. I even wiped my hard drive and reinstalled windows to get rid of any software related issues but still no luck. It wasn't until I completely removed the overclock on the CPU that was working fine for a month that the problem stopped.
I decided to just leave my PC stock for a while until about a week later my PC blue screens and I get the error "UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP" with a loud buzzing sound playing through the headphones. I assumed it wasnt an issue and ignored it but a week later I get another blue screen this time with the error "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" with the buzzing sound. I then give it another week and yet again my PC crashes this time it just froze on the desktop with the buzzing sound playing without blue-screening. A week later from that I get the last error I've had (before posting this) which was the "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" error again.
I have no idea what could be causing any of these issues other than something software related or hardware that I didnt properly check. This is also really frustrating as these are almost all brand new parts none of which are overclocked or have been tampered with other than my GPU which I have opened up however it's been running without any issues for over a year. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PC Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Ram: Corsair 16GB 2x8 2400MHz
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G OC
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
Case: Fractal Design Define R6

Solution
I would need the actual .dmp file rather than the text file.
looks like the problem is removing pages from the working set.
here is info on what a working set is:https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc441804(v=vs.85).aspx

I would be looking for updates for anything related to your storage subsystem. (bios, sata drivers, firmware to SSD)

you might download and run Microsoft sysinternal rammap64.exe (look at the Empty menu items, and run them)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sysinternals-suite

at least rammap64 should trigger the problem and could be used to see if the problem is fixed.
(you could also put your SATA drive cable on a different port/controller)
(assume the problem is not in...

InvalidError

Titan
The power event is just a generic error when Windows detects that the previous session didn't shut down cleanly with no other data. The random errors on the other hand usually mean that something is corrupting the system. It could be rogue drivers/software, could be flaky hardware, could also be something as simple as you nudging the DIMMs while moving the motherboard between cases and one of them not making reliable contact so you get the odd single bit error every now and then that memtest86 didn't catch over whatever amount of time you ran it.

you should provide a current memory dump file from c:\windows\minidump directory.
IE copy it to a cloud server, share it for guest access and post a link.

often the msi overclocking tools are not uninstalled and the driver continues to tweak voltages when not overclocking.
(also, the MSI tools is often installed and loaded from multiple locations on a drive as different versions are released, this will show up in the memory dump file)

Matfat779

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014

Thanks for the ideas. I checked the driver section of windows update and found an AMD system driver had failed to install which I'd assume is the AMD graphics driver. I also ran the windows update troubleshooter which detected potentially corrupt update files which it fixed. I may reinstall windows again and only install the GPU drivers to see if it helps. I for some reason only just had the idea to check the event log and found the error log and the the memory dump files which I ran through WinDbg which told me its to do with memory corruption however I've no clue on how to fix it. Also a new bios version has come out recently so I will be updating that too.

Matfat779

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014

I haven't installed MSI's OC software so it shouldn't be a problem. Here's the dump file: https://pastebin.com/QqXapwtQ

Edit: Just got a BSOD after only half an hour which was the "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" error again which was the last issue and the one that this dump refers too (had it as the "UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP" error in original post when the "IRQL issue is the one that needs to be sorted).

I would need the actual .dmp file rather than the text file.
looks like the problem is removing pages from the working set.
here is info on what a working set is:https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc441804(v=vs.85).aspx

I would be looking for updates for anything related to your storage subsystem. (bios, sata drivers, firmware to SSD)

you might download and run Microsoft sysinternal rammap64.exe (look at the Empty menu items, and run them)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sysinternals-suite

at least rammap64 should trigger the problem and could be used to see if the problem is fixed.
(you could also put your SATA drive cable on a different port/controller)
(assume the problem is not in the drive, check to see if there is a firmware update)

Solution