PSUs and their empty inventory slots

JMLow54

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
One of the things that appears (and I've not seen an article on this) to be a hit against the general community, is the appalling lack of components on the market.

In my case, it is a PSU.

I used Tom's review to identify a PSU that I would like to have (Corsair 1500W AXi). Yet no place has it. Well, not that I'm willing to pay for anyway. In most cases the price seems to be ~$700 for the very limited supply they have.

That limited inventory raises the specter that it has been sitting there for a long time, and does not reflect the advancements in the technology that a high-turnover inventory does.

In any case, the manufacturers appear to be struggling with keeping up with the demand. Ramping up their operation severely impacts the customer.

What has caused this lack of availability?

My thoughts seem to focus on the world-wide need for more based on the CryptoCoin mining operations that have really taken off (and doesn't seem to be letting up soon.)

Don't know if I'm right or not, but it seems to be the only logical solution.

Thoughts?

4745454b

Titan
PSUs that large aren't commonly sold. And people who buy them tend to be miners who expect to pay high prices. A 1kW PSU is about all any normal person needs for their rig. As mentioned by Zerk, it's an old PSU that you probably don't even need. I'd look for a newer one that fits your build better. (Unless you are mining and need a 1500W PSU.)

JMLow54

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Thank you for the heads up.

Sounds like my calculations were a bit(?) off... :(

I'd based it on my number crunching need - not CryptoCurrency mining.

My build is circling around:
1) ASUS Zenith Extreme TR4
2) AMD 1900X
3) ASUS Graphics
4) and sufficient HDD's to provide 22TB (not a typo) on-line storage.

While my gaming is minimal, and Bit mining is non-existent; my need for space and speed (both home [HDD] and business [Speed]) played heavily into the thought of the 1500W.

The 1300W sounds just perfect.

Thanks!

Jim

4745454b

Titan
What is "Asus Graphics"? Spinning drives use about 10W per drive while actively being used, around 5W if they are just idle. If you use 6 4TB drives then you'll need 60W max for all of them. If you use 3TB drives you'll need 80W. Lets guess it something around 8 drives, or 80W. The board and ram won't use much, round this up to 100W.

Looking up the 1900X I forgot this was a threadripper CPU. Lets make the board use a bit more and say 125W total for board and drives. The CPU is another 180W, so ~300W for everything but the GPU. The biggest current gen GPUs are 250-300W, so even if you use a Vega 64 or 1080TI, your total draw will be around 600W. A 1300W is overkill. Even a 1kW might be a bit much. A high quality 850W is what I'd look for. If you are planning on a 1080, 1070, 580, etc, you can use a 750W probably. Really depends on the card you use and the number of drives.