[Solved] Daily BSODs (mainly UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION and CRITICAL PROCESS DIED), already tried everything I googled

xiiliea

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Since last week my laptop has been crashing at least once daily. Before this, it was 100% stable with no problems. The night before I saw a random windows update, but I can't find any mention of this update under update history (I'm not sure if this is the cause). The crashes happen whether I'm gaming or not.

Also, when the BSOD happens, it will bring me to the BIOS settings. But any attempt to exit BIOS won't work. It will keep bringing me back to BIOS. I have to force shut down the computer and start it up again.

At first, it was UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION BSODs. The computer would crash many hours after startup (maybe average of 6 hours). I always know when this is going to happen because every program will suddenly hang, then it will BSOD with this error.

I tried everything I could in https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/unexpected-store-exception/
1) Did everything except for Selective Startup. Whenever I choose that and click apply, and reopen msconfig, it goes back to Normal Startup. I've tried disabling all start up item manually in Task Manager myself but it still crashes.
2-6) All tried. Memory test and hard drive test are fine.
7) Tried to system restore to 2 weeks earlier but it says system restore was unsuccessful.

And after reinstalling the graphics driver, I started getting CRITICAL PROCESS DIED BSODs. This will happen within 1 hour of computer startup. If nothing happens in 1 hour, it won't crash like this anymore, but UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION might happen after many hours.

Twice I got KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR which also happened many hours after startup, but they happened on the same day and never happened again so far.

I tried Nirsoft crash dump viewer but apparently there are no crash dumps to view. I don't have a windows/minidump folder either.

I really don't know what to do anymore, because I tried everything I could.

Dxdiag info:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: G751JT
BIOS: G751JT.205
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16334MB RAM
Page File: 4693MB used, 14071MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 970M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Solution
Update: Laptop hasn't crashed for 3 days after I cleaned out all the dust inside. So that seems to have been the problem.

Also, I have a feeling that the CRITICAL PROCESS DIED was caused by the graphic driver update, because it only started happening after I tried updating it, and I always had problems after updating it in the past, which is why I didn't update it for a year or so. But that seems to have resolved by itself too, because it stopped happening 2 days before I did the cleaning.

I had a similar problem in the past, when my laptop would suddenly shut down instantly for no reason when playing games in high player population areas. But this wasn't a BSOD, it was just a sudden shut down. So I suspected it was a heat problem and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR - It is usually caused by a bad sector, a virus, a hard disk error or a failing RAM memory
Unexpected Store exception also makes me wonder if its hardware

I saw you ran windows memory checker, try running memtest86 on each stick, 1 stick at a time. Any errors are too many - only score you want is 0. It makes a bootable USB so no need for windows

I wonder who makes the hdd in an Asus laptop. I would run HDTune on the drives and check the health tab

check Asus web site and make sure you have the latest drivers for laptop.

Have you changed your page file size? that can be 1 reason you don't have a dump file.

xiiliea

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'll try memtest when I have time.

I tried HDTune and it says my Airflow Temperature is 50 degrees celcius. Is that a big problem? I'll try opening my laptop and cleaning the fan, since I've done that before.

I checked ASUS's driver update page https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JT/HelpDesk_Download/ and it says the latest drivers were 2015/2016 so I don't think they are the problem.

I'm not sure what the page file size should be, so I changed Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Write Debugging Information to Small Memory Dump (was Automatic Memory Dump before).

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hard to be sure what cause is without dumps. I helped one person recently with a similar problem that also wasn't getting dumps but we fixed that with updated drivers for his nvme drive, your laptop doesn't appear to have anything like that.

what drives do you have?
1TB HDD 7200 RPM With 256 G SSD
2TB HDD 5400 With 128 G SSD
1TB HDD 5400 With 8 G SSD
Dual HDD Support(Optional)
RAID0 Support (Optional)
HDD Housing for 2ND HDD expansion

You seem to have a choice? is the 50 on a hdd or ssd?
if you have the 1tb model, and didn't know you had another drive, it might be acting as a cache drive. It won't appear in windows file explorer.

right click start
choose drive management
take screen shot and upload it to a image sharing web site and show link here.

system restore failed?

try running this and check windows out
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

xiiliea

Reputable
May 18, 2015
https://i.imgur.com/ifHTEWx.png
I don't remember which one my one was.
I had a D drive but I combined it into C drive for convenience on day 1. I was told by the salesman that the SSD is just for booting and can't be used.
Also, the Toshiba Ext is just an external drive I use for backup.

I already tried SFC and DISM but they didn't work.

Anyway, I cleaned my laptop and found a huge lot of dust and hair under and inside it, especially in the battery compartment (which is empty because I removed the battery a year ago as it died and kept shutting down the computer as it couldn't charge, and my laptop ran totally fine after I removed it). Computer hasn't crashed for 12 hours now (but it didn't crash for 11 hours yesterday either, before I cleaned it). Will update if it does.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't see an ssd, I see a 1tb hdd and the 2tb external hdd.

ifHTEWx.png

I am sure it would show there even if windows can't see it in file explorer., If its only 8gb its not going to be much help now, the tiny ones like that are used as cache drives, too small for actual windows. Intel rapid storage technology is used to set it up as a cache for the older hdd to store files that used a lot. Its under other in the driver section of your laptop site.

xiiliea

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Update: Laptop hasn't crashed for 3 days after I cleaned out all the dust inside. So that seems to have been the problem.

Also, I have a feeling that the CRITICAL PROCESS DIED was caused by the graphic driver update, because it only started happening after I tried updating it, and I always had problems after updating it in the past, which is why I didn't update it for a year or so. But that seems to have resolved by itself too, because it stopped happening 2 days before I did the cleaning.

I had a similar problem in the past, when my laptop would suddenly shut down instantly for no reason when playing games in high player population areas. But this wasn't a BSOD, it was just a sudden shut down. So I suspected it was a heat problem and cleaned out the dust inside and it never happened again. I should have just tried cleaning the insides from the beginning.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS