Toshiba Satellite GPU driver problems Windows 10

Mar 9, 2018
I have a Toshiba Satellite L300 - 1FS. I recently upgraded it from Windows Vista to Windows 10. Upon doing this, the GPU drivers from Toshiba were removed and replaced with the generic Intel ones. These work fine for standard programs and games using DirectX, however most of the older games the PC is actually capable of running all use OpenGL. The Intel driver only supports version 1.0 (I ran GLEW to check this, and only version 1 is present) and therefore older games are only capable of around 10FPS. When running Ubuntu, the laptop ran them at 30+. I need Windows 10 installed in order to make use of Office 365.

I have tried installing the drivers from Toshiba, but as they only support Windows 7, the installer quits before starting the install. Is there any way to force the installer to run, or to install the drivers another way?

Solution
Hello 323ginganinja

Can you please try running the driver setup in Compatibility Mode and choose Windows 7 while doing so?

You can learn how to run programs in Compatibility Mode from this and this tutorial.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!