Ryzen 5 2400g and windows 10 bsods and instability

nickythenose

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
HELP PLEASE! Ok I know that is a little dramatic, but I can't figure this one out. I built a new Ryzen 5 2400g computer (full specs at end of post) and I have had nothing but issues with windows giving bsods and freezing A LOT. At least once an hour
Steps I have taken so far:
1. Updated bios in 2 steps as instructed by ASROCK for the new CPU
2. Installed windows 10
3. had so many issues I created a new USB with current windows 10 build and reinstalled. (fixed it from crashing every minutes to where i was able to finish updates)
4. Ran all updates for WiFi on mobo
5. searched and searched for someone who had an answer and found nothing that was similar to mine.

Please any ideas to make it stop would be appreciated.

system build
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400g
Mobo: ASRock x370 killer SLI/AC
RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2400
bios version P4.60

Thank you in advance.

Solution

mcahneisssh

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

I had the same problem with ryzen 5 2400g where it didn't even recognize the vega 11 graphics.
If possible install stable version of windows 10 (version 1709) , as the older versions of win10 had optimization problem with ryzen 2400g.
Then in the device manager check the display adapter used. if its vega 11 then the crash & bsod should stop now. if it still crashes then reset the pc and reinstall the win10.
hope it helps .

nickythenose

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

Thanks for the info. I did a clean install of Windows 10 1709 and I am still having the problem. Currently the display adapter says Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. What else can I do to get Windows to recognize it as vega 11. Using cpu-z it shows it as a Vega graphics card. If I do have to install win10 again how should i do it. Should i just follow the prompts and delete the partitions in the install wizard or is there a way to format the SSD before doing it. The last time I just went through and deleted the partitions.

nickythenose

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

That's what I ended up doing. Hopefully the bsods with stop now. only time will tell.

nickythenose

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
Update...Still getting bsods and I still have no idea why. I also experienced a freeze/hangup while in the bios which required me to reset the computer to clear it. All I have to say is AAARRRGGHH!!! All drivers have been updated and everything keeps crashing. Not as often as before, but still at least once a day. please help!

nickythenose

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
Update...Still getting bsods and I still have no idea why. I also experienced a freeze/hangup while in the bios which required me to reset the computer to clear it. All I have to say is AAARRRGGHH!!! All drivers have been updated and everything keeps crashing. Not as often as before, but still at least once a day. please help!

nickythenose

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

mcahneisssh

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

first in the bios reduce the ram speed to 2133 mhz or something less. enter safe mode and reinstall drivers
and in device manager scan for hardware changes, also what is your psu
second try installing the chipset drivers from amd (not from asrock) and then install radeon software and vega graphics drivers .
Final - third contact the amd support or asrock support and get it checked by trained staff .

Solution

mcahneisssh

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

did you solve your problem.
you ca manually update in device manager and updating the microsoft basic display driver and then browse the path to where you have the amd graphics driver folder . it will install and detect the vega 11

Aug 19, 2018
Hello,

It's definitely the RAM.

I built my new build this week with the following parts:
- AMD Ryzen 5 2400G stock (no OC)
- MSI X370 Gaming Plus motherboard
- 2x4Go DDR4 2400MHz G.skill RAM in dual channel
- Win10 on SSD Samsung 860 evo

The day of first boot i had at least 20 crashes with a game crashing or Win10 BSOD with error code : VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE

I read on several topics that it was due to a system instability, some suggested it was caused by motherboard not providing enough power to RAM, so RAM would get errors and cause crashes.

So i went into my mobo's RAM settings and found some "Memory try it !" functionality, which will provide possible RAM overclock preset, i went for the first option which was 2400 MHz. When saving the new BIOS config, it reminded the changes i made and asked to confirm. On the recap screen i then saw that the BIOS would increase RAM voltage from 1.2 to 1.32. I accepted.

Since then i NEVER encountered any game crash or Win10 BSOD. My new build is only a week old but it has been completely stable since this change has been made.

Dipesh_5

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

I have the same system as you ( except the RAM ) and my pc is two weeks young. I've been having BSOD's as well. I disabled TDR WatchDog and now I have freezes ( that would precede the BSOD's earlier ). The problem is that my motherboard ( or I don't know what ) causes my display to freeze, and all USB ports to loose power ( and the audio connectors too ) . I get the Kernel 41 (63) kernel error on windows logs. But, once I disable Vega 11 from the device manager, the system runs fine. Can it be the driver causing this ?

Aug 19, 2018
Hello,

I must admit i don't really know there, this could be cause by several things:
- RAM not getting enough voltage (have you tried going for one of the "memory try it !" options in the overclock section of the motherboard ?)
- maybe WatchDogs is too much demanding and the Ryzen cant handle it (is the problem only occuring with this game ?)
- maybe your power supply is not enough powerful (apparently your USB ports loose power, this could be the cause)
- Make sure the drivers are up to date (get them from the amd driver autodectect or something)

mcahneisssh

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
if you have solved your problem then please describe the fix here and close the thread.
But if you hadn't then you can try one more thing-
if your is monitor is old like mine then amd customer service suggests
1. you to get a new monitor with digital (dvi-d, hdmi or displayport) ports or
2. get an active adapter cable
because ryzen 5 2400g graphics doesn't support analog display at all.
if your monitor is new then use the digital ports only. And if you have only analog port then use the method 2 given above.

Dipesh_5

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

So I installed Win 1709 Version and blocked all updates. I've installed the Q2 update drivers and no longer experience random crashes. Rather, I get crashes when I try to run a game. It's weird. I'll be troubleshooting this for some more time.