Can't install Windows 10 on m.2 ssd

Status
Not open for further replies.

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
So I got a new ssd for my Lenovo y520 and I am trying to put windows 10 on it , but I just can't figure it out how to do it . I tried everything but whenever I try to boot the Windows installation from my usb drive , the only thing I see on my screen is the logo of my ssd PLEXTOR . I can use so help :( I feel like the Lenovo bios menu is too poor and doesn't let me do my work

Solution
Ok , so this is my solution to the problem . First of all , the problem what that I was not able to boot my usb drive in order to install window 10 on my new M.2 Plextor M8Pe NVMe SSD . So , the first thnig to do is to be sure that you created a bootable usb using media creation tool made by microsoft . After this , reset CMS by pressing the little button on the side of your laptop ( in my case Lenovo Y520 , I have a little hole next to my audio jack ), and keep it pressed for like 10 secs . Be sure to set boot mode on UEFI and disable FAST BOOT and SECURE BOOT ( you can do all of this in BIOS) . As my pal said earlier , this work only if you have windows 10 installed on another HDD because you need one of it's function . So , the next...

USAFRet

Titan

What specific type of m.2 drive is it? Make/model?
What specific type m.2 drive can your laptop take?

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018

It's an M.2 NVMe Plextor M8Pe 256 GB , and it's prefectly compatible with my laptop . I did some deep research before buying the ssd

USAFRet

Titan

OK, just checking.
The number of people who incorrectly assume all m.2 is equal is massive.

When you start the OS install process, what did you select? When it asks where, you need to select Custom.
That should give you a window showing both drives.

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018

Well that's the problem. I can't get there because my bios is not letting me to select a boot option so I can't select my usb

USAFRet

Titan

Ahhhh....thats a different issue.
You can get into the BIOS, but not change the boot priority?

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018

Exactly . And if I do the legacy boot thing , I get the logo screen and I need to remove the ssd manually

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018

Yeah , it's weird , I know . I will try on Lenovo forum and I will let you know if I get a fix . Maybe it will help you sometime. Cheers

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018

I can access that boot menu but the usb doesn't show up . The only way to make it show up is to remove the ssd and boot by legacy order or smth like that

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018

Yes , I do . I think I may have to unlock the bios in order to select the boot options and stuff, but this is another problem

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Usb function to boot and reinstall Windows would be an important accessable option no matter the laptop brand, shouldn't need to unlocking anything to have that feature.

Try remove the hdd, is windows 10 on it? could be preventing you. Laptops and it's motherboard tend to have a closer relationship with Windows than desktops.

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018

Apparently many people have this problem with the bios . Lenovo fucked up . I will try to remove my hdd when I get home from uni , and also I will try to unlock the bios

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018

Man I've tired everything. Every * single thing . If I remove the hdd , the system is not booting anything. I just get stuck to a * plextor logo screen and that's it . Whatever I do , I can't get it right and the * from Lenovo won't message me back . Fml

<Language, please. Thanks.>

boju

Titan
Ambassador

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018

I finally did it . So , reset the cms , enter the bios and deactivate fast boot and secure boot . Boot mode = uefi . AFTER this , use the Microsoft soft to make your usb stick bootable . THE FINAL STEP
IS : Press SHIFT + RESTART and choose from there usb boot. This worked for me . If you have any questions I am here ready to answer

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Good on you for working it out.

We assumed you already had a bootable usb prepared by media creation tool.

Fast boot disables usb and few other internal devices that are used during post. Uefi is required for fast boot so disabling fast boot explains a lot.

Shift + restart whats that do? Is it same as pressing F2?

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018

It's not exactly the same thing . It gets you in a different menu (safe mode ) where you can use some advanced options . I will post a picture of what you see when you press this combination
advanced-startup-options-windows-10-56a6fad85f9b58b7d0e5d1a3.png

This was the only thing that got me to Windows Installation menu

micutzul.eu

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
Ok , so this is my solution to the problem . First of all , the problem what that I was not able to boot my usb drive in order to install window 10 on my new M.2 Plextor M8Pe NVMe SSD . So , the first thnig to do is to be sure that you created a bootable usb using media creation tool made by microsoft . After this , reset CMS by pressing the little button on the side of your laptop ( in my case Lenovo Y520 , I have a little hole next to my audio jack ), and keep it pressed for like 10 secs . Be sure to set boot mode on UEFI and disable FAST BOOT and SECURE BOOT ( you can do all of this in BIOS) . As my pal said earlier , this work only if you have windows 10 installed on another HDD because you need one of it's function . So , the next thing to do is to open the windows , plug in the usb , and press SHIFT + RESTART to get in the SAFE MODE MENU . I posted a picture earlier that might help you . Choose " USE A DEVICE " and then choose to boot the USB DRIVE . This worked for me , but again THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOU ALREADY HAVE WINDOWS 10 INSTALLED ON ANOTHER DRIVE . If you have any questions , feel free to ask me ! Sorry if my explanation is not extra good , english is not my native language . Cheers !

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS