Grainy looking multimedia content in new monitor

ashish18

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Hi. I have a Samsung 40-inch TV and a new BenQ EW2775ZH monitor. Both are 1080p. I was using the TV before and now I started using this monitor. After comparing I found out that images and videos look smoother in the TV and a little pixelated in the monitor. I looked at both their screens closely and I can't tell why the TV looks better even when viewed from close distance! Pixel density is better in the monitor! It's a good quality screen according to review and benchmarks. Everything else like Windows' and online websites' UI look perfect to me. Even video games look totally fine to me but picture and video viewing has the issue. HD content doesn't seem like HD content anymore due to slightly grainy look. Pixelated look is most bothersome and noticeable in video content of 720p or lower resolution in Youtube. I hadn't experienced this with the TV before.

In the TV, when I increase value of sharpness setting, this pixelated look appears. I have its value turned down to zero and it looks perfect that way. But in the monitor, reducing sharpness to zero makes things look fuzzier. Increasing or decreasing sharpness doesn't solve it.

Does anyone know about the possible reason for this? I kindly need help with this.

Thank You for reading.

P.S. I used HDMI connection for both. Also, does HDCP matter in any way?

Solution
I found the solution. The monitor's RGB and other settings are poorly calibrated in my opinion. I kept the TV beside monitor and found the proper RGB values to match my TVs colors and it worked. Grainy effect isn't there/noticable anymore.

ashish18

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
I found the solution. The monitor's RGB and other settings are poorly calibrated in my opinion. I kept the TV beside monitor and found the proper RGB values to match my TVs colors and it worked. Grainy effect isn't there/noticable anymore.

Solution

ashish18

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ashish18 : "Grainy looking multimedia content in new monitor"