Tomshardware causing new tab to open with gamiss.com?

Fizbin69

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Anyone else getting this? It's happened to me four times and only when I'm on this site. I get a new tab that opens with the web site www.gamiss.com.

I'm using Chrome (Windows 8.1) with Sandboxie and Avira. Running Malwarebytes yielded nothing.

That's never happened to me since I've been a member.

Fizbin69

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
How is this for convincing... gamiss.com sucks the sweat off a dead dogs balls and I would never buy their crap products.

Getting that out of the way, I just ran HitManPro and adwcleaner and all comes up clean. Also it has yet to happen when I am logged in. Only when I am logged out. I will be actively pursing this throughout the night.

One other thing... It has so far only happened when clicking on google links to your site. (IE Doing a google search)

Fizbin69

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
That is correct. I have never heard of that site or business before.

Ok, so... I have made a little progress. I downloaded a freeware program called Fiddler, which records every bit of HTTP/HTTPS traffic. So this is what gets recorded when I am logged out of Tomshardware and I enter a tomshardware.com page by way of google:

c-5uwzmx78pmca09x24x78iomil0x2eowwotmagvlqkibqwvx2ekwu.g00.tomshardware.com
(I get lots of these)

And by about the third time (third link) into tomshardware.com (via google) I get this:

c-5uwzmx78pmca09x24x78iomil0x2eowwotmagvlqkibqwvx2ekwu.g00.tomshardware.com (or another variation)
metric-agent.i10c.net:443
(Tunnel to) www.gamiss.com:443

I only get the above stuff when I do a daily clearing of my browsing data. (Seems to happen only once per day or whatever)

However, if I am logged in to tomshardware.com I don't get any of that stuff and the site is much faster too.

Next I'll try surfing directly here (no google) logged out and see what happens. (Gonna try all this on another PC too)

Fizbin69

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
I deleted all my extensions except for uBlock Origin and Lastpass and it still happens with Chrome. But get this. (Hold on to your hats). When I delete both uBlock Origin and Lastpass all those nasty entries in Fiddler (as well as the forwarding to that crap site) is GONE. Plus the loggout speed is faster too.

So I smell a rat with either uBlock Origin or Lastpass. (Yes, of course I'll find out which one but it's getting late, might not have time until tomorrow)

Fizbin69

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
I'm currently posting this on the uBlock github site. The odd things is, I have installed older versions of uBlock (as far back as Sept 2017) and it still does this. Which makes me think it's a Chrome + uBlock issue.

BTW, I do get those c-5uwzmx entries while logged in (with uBlock running). Just thought I'd mention that since I stated above that it goes away when logged in. But I don't seem to get that web site pop up logged in. Of course with uBlock off, everything is a-ok logged in or out.

Mar 16, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from debbie.games : "Gamiss Ad new tab"

Hi, I found this thread via a google search. My unwanted Gamiss ad tab is not as a result of browsing to tomshardware, but is always from ebay.co.uk, and I'm using Chrome. The original thread is closed, but I wanted to tag that it isn't just a problem specific to this site. It's happened too many times recently, and I'd love to know why it's happeneing and how to stop it.

TRENDING THREADS