Can I change my OS on a partition without losing data on my other partition?

Mar 12, 2018
I have a hard drive with two partitions and partition 'C' houses Windows 10 32bit. I want to change the OS to Windows 10 64bit without losing data on Partition 'D' is it possible and how? Please find a way to do this as I cannot afford a new drive as this is the only drive I own and I am saving to buy a good gpu.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What motherboard do you have?

WIn 10 32bit uses MBR format for its partition scheme, win 10 64 bit might want to use GPT instead. If you tell me the Motherboard make & model, I can go look at manual and see how to set it up to use legacy boot method.

Then when you go to fresh install the 64bit version, you just need to wipe the old C partition and tell windows to install to the unallocated space left from the deleted partition.

That should work

Mar 12, 2018

I have an Intel DH61WW motherboard running legacy bios and not the uefi one

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its legacy, you should be able to do what i suggested above, delete the partition C is on (this is part of a clean install) and choose the unallocated space as the location you want win 10 to install too. That is how its worked with every other version of windows until now.

follow this, step 12 explains what to do, see drive options (Advanced): https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

Solution
Mar 12, 2018

Thank you for your help sir
I will surely try it out and let you know.

USAFRet

Titan
Actually, you need to delete all partitions except the current "D" partition.
Otherwise, the previous boot partition will still be in there, mucking up the works.

That needs to be deleted as well, not just the original "C" partition.