KVM Switch help - desktop to laptop - what kind do I need?

Mar 12, 2018
Hello,

I am hoping someone can shed light on the proper KVM switch/setup that I need. I want to switch from my desktop to a laptop using the switch.

Current setup:
Dual monitor set up with a desktop(tower).
-1 monitor thru DVI
-1monitor thru HDMI
-Keyboard/mouse are USB
-Sound is through the green audio port input (not sure what that’s called)

What kind of KVM will support this? All research I’ve done seems to indicate there isn’t any type of KVM which will do both DVI and HDMI. Do I need to get some sort of converter to make the other monitor into a DVI? I haven’t seen any KVM that supports both DVI inputs either though.

Can someone please help direct me? I want to be able to switch to the laptop seamlessly when required. Thank you all.

Mar 12, 2018
https://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1642/

Here is one that I found. Can anyone confirm that this would work for me? It looks like it has DVI only, but theoretically, if I just got an HDMI to DVI converter for my second monitor, would it be fine?

How does the connection even work? The monitors plug into the Switch, and then another set of DVIs would go into my desktop? My desktop tower only has 1 VGA, 1 HDMI, and 1 DVI. That's what I was saying if I get a converter, I can use the second DVI input, converter to HDMI and plug that into my tower to match the inputs.

Thoughts?

Mar 12, 2018
I've continued my research, so if anyone comes to read:

I believe I will purchase this one: https://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1742

And what I will do is, both of my monitors also support VGA -- laptop and desktop both have VGA/HDMI

1. Use HDMI -> VGA converter. This goes into my desktop to the switch.
2. Use DVI -> VGA converter. This goes into my desktop to the switch.
3. Use HDMI -> VGA converter. This goes into my laptop to the switch.
4. Use VGA for the laptop to the switch.
5. Buy two more VGA cables, going from the monitors into the switch.

I will probably lose some quality, but my monitors still support up to 1920x1080 which is really all I need anyways.

Still open to suggestions or if anyone sees any issues with this set up. Thanks.