Advice On Rebuilding Older Computer

lukasklees

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hey everyone !

I was hoping on getting some advice on rebuilding a computer as a gift for a friend. It's a bit of a Frankenstein rig that was collected from spare components, some of which are missing and others are a bit dated. I'm not entirely sure what would be the best for value/compatibility.

The components I currently have are:

CPU: I5-2500K 3.30 GHZ
GPU: ATI / AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Mobo: ASRock P67 PRO3 ***Would probably be best if it was replaced
PSU: Corsair TX650
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Case: Don't need to upgrade

As for the HDD, I'm considering just getting a cheap 1TB HDD on Amazon for around 50 bucks. The total budget would be around 500$, I'm not entirely sure what I could squeeze out of this rig and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time !

*** Mobo pins were bent and smeared with thermal paste after an unfortunate thermal paste replacement, had to bend all the pins back into place with a needle and magnifying glass, after which contact with CPU was only made when the case was on the side due to the weight of the fan. Was prone to shutting off if it was nudged.

What would it generally be used for? Given budget and motherboard damage, I'd be looking at a Ryzen build, even new Raven Ridge perhaps. B350 board, 8GB DDR4, ect. Is OS license or monitor, keyboard, ect. required?

g-unit1111

Titan

The thing I would advise on Raven Ridge is the motherboard availability. I haven't seen anything firm on it but if you plan to buy any X370 or B350 board you will need a BIOS update before you can use the new CPUs.