Very slow boot + Fan warning + graphics card software issues

Feb 15, 2018
Hi all,

I'm currently suffering from two issues.

Background: my old HD5770 graphics card died, all I would get is black screen. Took the PC to a local computer place, they made the system workable. I then installed a new GTX1050 card.

Problem 1: even since they fixed the system, I'll get an occasional "Power Fan 0 RPM" warning. But when I open the case, it's all running fine. I know they did 'cable management' so no idea if that changed anything.

Problem 2: the computer now takes ages to boot up. Used to be quite quick, just using normal boot options, now it's very very slow. Any ideas?

Problem 3: my system was an onboard intel graphics card, but I use the additional one. Was never a problem, but now Windows keeps recognising (and wanting to update the software for) the onboard card. But when it does update it, the system will restart and end up going to a black screen - I need to do a System Restore to get it working again.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

KiL3MaNjAr0W

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
Problem 1: Download and install hwinfo on your PC to monito fan speeds. if your cpu fan was at 0 rpm the pc would thermal throttle and then shut down. Also, make sure the yellow wire (third pin) is connected on the motherboard.

Problem 2: Lets start here with doing a simple disk cleanup and defrag then go into task manager and to the startup tab and disable any programs you do not want to load on start-up

Problem 3: I'm not 100% sure what you are asking here and I think it's more of an issue that it's through text over the forum more than anything. However, you can go into device manager and then check the display adapters tab and make sure only the dedicated gpu is enabled and disable the integrated graphics.

Feb 15, 2018
Thanks for the advice. :)

Problem 2: the odd thing is that I haven't changed anything major, and it's only started happening since the guys at the computer place looked at my system. Will try a defrag etc though.

Problem 3: to clarify
- my MB has integrated graphics, but I always use a dedicated graphics card
- I had an old HD5770, it stopped working, relied on integrated graphics for about a week before getting a new GTX1050 card
- Device manager now recognising both integrated and additional card
- Windows Update keeps downloading and installing software for the integrated card, even though I've already uninstalled and disbaled it. As soon as it does and I restart the system, it gets to the bios page and then afterwards my monitor says 'no signal detected' and goes to sleep. I figure the PC is prioritising the integrated graphics over the additional card for some reason. This never used to happen with my old card.
- I have already done a safe-mode clean of my old AMD and intel (integrated) drivers. No change.