Which 1440p IPS Panel would YOU choose?

Mar 14, 2018
Monitors in question are the Asus pg279q vs Acer xb271hu USED

Let's say you have the opportunity to buy both for the same exact price. The "Asus" is from January 2016 has LOW backlight bleed and minor scuffs. The "Acer" is from October 2017 has LOW backlight bleed and minor scuffs. Does the age make that much of a difference? I feel like everywhere I search it's an argument between these two. So given the circumstances what would you guys choose?

I've searched every combination of google/youtube/reddit one vs the other and I've come to the conclusion that they are pretty much similar but with a few aesthetic differences. Yet for some reason I cant decide what to pull the trigger on. I apologize for asking this question for the millionth time.

Solution
I believe the panel in both of these monitors are made by the same manufacturer. They are just branded differently. Some people swear by Asus and hate Acer. Others swear by Acer and hate Asus. I have an Acer x34 and I have not had any issues with it. But I also have an Asus motherboard and don't have any issues with it.

With all things equal, I would choose the newer model. I assume these monitors are used? Due to the scuffs? If so, it would make it a little easier for me to choose the newer unit.

If they are refurbs, I have a Acer Predator xb32 that I got as a refurb last year and I have not had any problems with it and it saved me a whole lot of money.

That's just my two cents. Good luck!
I believe the panel in both of these monitors are made by the same manufacturer. They are just branded differently. Some people swear by Asus and hate Acer. Others swear by Acer and hate Asus. I have an Acer x34 and I have not had any issues with it. But I also have an Asus motherboard and don't have any issues with it.

With all things equal, I would choose the newer model. I assume these monitors are used? Due to the scuffs? If so, it would make it a little easier for me to choose the newer unit.

If they are refurbs, I have a Acer Predator xb32 that I got as a refurb last year and I have not had any problems with it and it saved me a whole lot of money.

That's just my two cents. Good luck!

Solution
Mar 14, 2018

Yeah they are both used. Any idea how long the life of these monitors might be? I have some old beat up ones that still turn on from back in the day so they must last a while. The Asus technically still has 1 year on the warranty and the Acer 2 year im thinking. I think it's coming down to if a year difference really matters and to aesthetics.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Since they all started using LED based back-light monitors tends to last extremely long. The AC adapter is almost guaranteed to be the first thing to go. :)
I'd also check reviews of the both to see if there's any difference in how they calibrate the colours and maybe brightness.