For reading ebooks / comics on smartphone, what display type is the "best" for your eye?

BladePocok

Honorable
Aug 2, 2016
The question is given, I'm planning to read a lot of ebooks and comics on my future phone, but can't decide which technology is the "best" for my goals: TFT? OLED ? AMOLED ? IPS ?

Solution
For ebooks, an e-ink display, preferably one with a faint backlight (e.g. Kindle Paperwhite). The problem is that the "white" on an e-ink display is still fairly grey. The backlight helps brighten this up so it looks more like the white from a sheet of paper. Don't think they make phones with e-ink displays. But an ebook-reader is cheap and small enough you can afford to carry it around as a secondary device while you travel. It'll also help preserve the battery life on your phone.

Comics (and magazines) are different in that many of them are color. For those, I prefer OLED/AMOLED simply because of the better viewing angles. IPS has good viewing angles too, but their weakness in my experience is that while the colors don't shift...

USAFRet

Titan

None of those.
e-ink, as in a kindle paperwhite.

Active screens are very much sub-par.
IMHO, of course.

For ebooks, an e-ink display, preferably one with a faint backlight (e.g. Kindle Paperwhite). The problem is that the "white" on an e-ink display is still fairly grey. The backlight helps brighten this up so it looks more like the white from a sheet of paper. Don't think they make phones with e-ink displays. But an ebook-reader is cheap and small enough you can afford to carry it around as a secondary device while you travel. It'll also help preserve the battery life on your phone.

Comics (and magazines) are different in that many of them are color. For those, I prefer OLED/AMOLED simply because of the better viewing angles. IPS has good viewing angles too, but their weakness in my experience is that while the colors don't shift with viewing angle, the black level does. From certain angles, what's supposed to be black is actually a mid-grey. You don't notice it on a monitor because it's always oriented a certain way. But the much greater variability in phone/tablet viewing angles makes the poor blacks visible more often. OLED/AMOLED doesn't have this problem.

The exception is if you're going to be viewing in direct sunlight a lot. There, the poor blacks aren't as noticeable, while the brighter IPS screens can outshine OLED/AMOLED. There was a passive color display tech about a decade ago based on iridescence like you get from butterfly wings. The hope was that it become the color equivalent of e-ink, but it seems to have died.

Solution