How to test input lag on 2 displays?

dougthegoat

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
Hi all,
I've been gaming with my Xbox One S on an old Samsung ls27a550 for a few years now. I picked up an Acer CB281HK on black Friday for the 4K. My gaming experience seems to be very different on the 2 monitors. I visually can't see anything odd, but I feel like I'm lagging on the new Acer. Lagging by my performance in games, not what I am seeing. I can usually run a 2.5+ K/D on the old monitor. After the switch I'm struggling to get 1.0 K/D. The screens are the same size and I'm sitting the exact same distance from them.

My guess is input lag, but can't find any numbers on the internet for either monitor. I tried the screen clone/stopwatch method but results are all over the place and I can't test the Acer in 4K mode while cloned as the old monitor is 1080.

The results of the clone/stopwatch test are very confusing. If I take say 10 pictures, sometimes 9/10 will be the exact same, then on another 10 pictures 9/10 will have the Acer lagging by 30-50ms. Results seemed to vary greatly based on the distance from screen. I'm talking only the distance from sitting back in my chair to sitting up, maybe 1 foot.

Does anyone have the exact input lag numbers for these monitors?
Can anyone tell me how to properly use the clone/stopwatch method?

Thanks

That is as close to your answer as I can come from the specs. Input lag is usually do to more processing on one signal as opposed to another (like an amplifier). But I assume both signals are coming from a common graphics card, so there should not be a lag. Even one really long monitor cable and a short one shouldn't produce much (within reason).

dougthegoat

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

In this case only the Xbox One S is hooked up to the monitor. I only hooked them both up to the PC to try the clone/stopwatch trick I've read about. I thought by hooking it up to the PC I could play with the setting to see if I can find some way to minimize it. I see no "game mode" on the Acer however. I want to test to see just how far off the Acer is from the Samsung. If its considerable I doubt any settings I change would make much difference.

dougthegoat

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

To be honest I'm having a hard time figuring out what that device is or why I would need it. I'm not using speakers, the sound comes from the jack in the xbox controller. I'm using 4K rated HDMI cable as well.

I'm having an issue with input lag, not audio lag.

On that same Amazon page there is a selection of different ones including splitters. You could run the same signal to both monitors without any lag. I just copied the page from a list ones I was looking at. They come in 4K as well as 1080P.