Trying to clean install Windows 10 and cannot boot the installation media.

Mar 15, 2018
I have used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB. When trying to boot from it, the Windows 10 logo shows for ten seconds, then goes to a blue screen and reports the following error:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Error code: 0xc0000225

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for Startup Settings

I tried creating the USB again but got the same problem.

After that, I used Media Creation Tool to download the installer as an ISO instead. I used Rufus to burn the ISO to the USB drive. When I tried to boot, I got a similar error:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.efi

Error code: 0xc0000225

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for Startup Settings

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware

Don't know what to do anymore.

Solution
You're still booting from the hard-drive. To change this, when you fire up your machine you'll see (briefly) a note about what key to press to enter your BIOS or boot settings (on my Dell it's F12). Go into the settings and look for something to do with boot order or boot priority. Follow instructions to move your USB to the top of that list. Save the settings and exit. It should now boot properly.
Mar 29, 2018
You're still booting from the hard-drive. To change this, when you fire up your machine you'll see (briefly) a note about what key to press to enter your BIOS or boot settings (on my Dell it's F12). Go into the settings and look for something to do with boot order or boot priority. Follow instructions to move your USB to the top of that list. Save the settings and exit. It should now boot properly.

Solution