PC keeps freezing after reformat

gaofehk

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hey guys!

So, I will apologize in advance for any bad explanations as I am only moderately PC savvy

So I built my new PC back in October 2017
It was a total nightmare getting it up and running but I finally did.
It had a weird issue where it would freeze randomly after just a handful of minutes of turning on but it eventually stopped, for unknown reasons.

The only issue I had after all that was a few problems with the NVIDIA Experience installer crashing whenever I tried to install the 3D modules and the like. Installing just the driver itself was fine.
The other issue I had was my DirectX files (DirectX 9 specifically) having issues. Normally I wouldn't care because DX9 is a fossil nowadays but one of the games I play most is League of Legends which runs exclusively on DX9. It was an error that kept occurring that said something along the lines of "d3dx10_09.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error"
I talked to League support, they didn't help. I tried updating everything imaginable and that didn't work so I chalked it up to the DX9 files being corrupted during the installation of Windows 10 Home x64. I don't know if that's true but that's the only idea I had gotten from reading around

Well, I reformatted! Problem solved right?
Except now my PC locks up like it did before but it's been doing it for days now.
It's not a blue screen of death or anything, it just freezes completely, no mouse response, any videos or audio locks up as well.

I've updated my BIOS hoping that'd do the trick but no luck.
I've updated my drivers , except my video driver which for some reason won't work because it's saying that it's not compatible with my version of Windows.
Well of course seeing that I try to update windows.
Maybe 1/6 of the updates that it's tried to do have actually downloaded and installed correctly.
The rest either fail from the start or get trapped at 83% (it's always 83%)
I've tried 'Stop net wuauserv' but it keeps getting stuck.
My guess for that is that the updates are getting all screwed up because my PC keeps crashing mid way through.

I've run out of ideas here, guys.
I'm currently trying a manual install of windows updates but I don't have a lot of hope for it since most updates I've tried simply don't install properly.

My hardware is as follows
AMD RYZEN 5 1600x 6-Core CPU with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO heatsink (Artic paste)
ASUS Prime B350M-E Mobo
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 06G-P4-6161-KR, 6GB GDDR5 GPU
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
CORSAIR CX Series CX450 450W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC PSU

Windows 10 Home x64

I feel like I'm forgetting something but for the life of me I can't remember what.

rBoPxWL.png

Solution
Well after hours and hours of messing with it and another full clean install of Windows 10, I finally got a manual install of the newest version of Windows up and installed.
It's probably pretty clear to most but if anyone is having similar issues, try updating to "Windows 10 Fall Creators Update"
I'd suggest avoid the Windows Updater though. I've never ever had good luck with it.
You can download the Media Creation Tool for it

gaofehk

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Well after hours and hours of messing with it and another full clean install of Windows 10, I finally got a manual install of the newest version of Windows up and installed.
It's probably pretty clear to most but if anyone is having similar issues, try updating to "Windows 10 Fall Creators Update"
I'd suggest avoid the Windows Updater though. I've never ever had good luck with it.
You can download the Media Creation Tool for it

Solution