When is the Tom's Hardware server going to be fixed?

The server is abnormally slow. Many times recently the browser times out waiting for the server. This also results in many duplicate responses and postings.

Plus at times there is no mechanism to delete the other multiple duplicate responses.

4745454b

Titan
There should be a garbage can for you to delete your own posts. If you see a dupe post and it's not yours you of course can't delete it. (Us mods can, so flag them and move on.)

As for when, unknown. They've been working on the servers for several weeks now. Every time they think they fix it, we tell them they didn't. They are going to work on it again next week sometime. That's the last thing we were told.

That is my point. The garbage can is sometimes missing.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Garbage can wont he available if someone posts after you.

If replying takes a while just copy all your text and wait. It usually posts eventually but if the page stops with a blank page, open another tab and check if your post went through instead of refreshing.

When it has happened to me, I try to remove the duplicate post immediately. I am not always able to do so. Plus when more than one duplicate is involved, I have found only the last one has the garbage can. But you can delete them in order to get rid of them.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
yeah thats how its done, just checking its not bugging out and missing on the next post to delete.

If can is missing on 2nd post up, theres probably another post on the way from someone having the same problem. Just timing.

D

Deleted member 217926

Nobody hopes it gets fixed more than the mods. As bad as it is for you guys we have to clean up all the double posts and weird errors. Guess what else doesn't work right? Yep, basic moderation functions. lol

It's great fun trying to merge 5 duplicate threads caused by the buggy software when merges are timing out. :sarcastic:

Just let us know through the report button or if it's not an emergency you can let us know in the Herald section.

I've done that. In one instance, I thought the OP was just being an ass. There were about three identical posts. And then perhaps a half hour later, there were two or three more that were all identical to the first post.

But then it happened several times to myself. And I know I didn't post it more than once. And I have noticed that there are a lot of merged posts lately. That is part of why posted my question.

4745454b

Titan
For us mods this is nearly as bad as being under attack from spammers. Every morning and all day there are posts to delete and merge. I used to warn people to be careful, but of course this isn't their fault so unless the person is deliberately spamming our forums I let it slide. Hopefully they get a hand on this soon before too many members get mad.