Windows 10 re-install with a software raided storage

bolciendt

Honorable
Aug 17, 2017
I've got windows 10 on an SSD and got an 8TB raid (4tb x 2) and made the raid in windows. Now my computer is acting funky and I'm thinking it needs nuking and reloading windows on it. But the problem is I haven't found anything on if the raid will survive if I remake it in the new build of windows.

So the question is, is there a way to preserve the raid during a clean install of windows, or do I need to back up the raid and do it all over again in the new build?

Solution
Software RAID is RAID handled by drivers in the OS. By definition, when you're installing a new OS onto disks configured with software RAID the new OS is going to see the disks as "disks", rather than as a RAID volume. (A hardware RAID controller abstracts the disks in the RAID volume away and shows the OS a generic "disk".)

If you're installing the same OS, it should "detect" the existing software RAID configuration and use it. That will vary from OS to OS.

Edit:

Finding official Microsoft documentation on this is proving needlessly difficult. From what I'm finding, Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate support software RAID 0 and RAID...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Software RAID is RAID handled by drivers in the OS. By definition, when you're installing a new OS onto disks configured with software RAID the new OS is going to see the disks as "disks", rather than as a RAID volume. (A hardware RAID controller abstracts the disks in the RAID volume away and shows the OS a generic "disk".)

If you're installing the same OS, it should "detect" the existing software RAID configuration and use it. That will vary from OS to OS.

Edit:

Finding official Microsoft documentation on this is proving needlessly difficult. From what I'm finding, Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate support software RAID 0 and RAID 1.
https://serverfault.com/questions/24167/does-a-software-raid-break-when-reinstalling-the-os

way to many shoulds involved for my liking, I would back up the data before trying. If you had made raid array using BIOS it would survive the install but its not very clear if win 10 fresh installed on a new SSD will see one created on another install. I don't think it will but I haven't run RAID myself.

Solution