How do I reinstall windows 10 OEM / how do I wipe a SSD with an OS on it.

Mar 17, 2018
I bought a prebuilt system from ASUS and it came with a TB HDD installed with Win10 installed. As I didn't recieve a disk with this I assume that means it's OEM?

I want to put in an SSD for my OS and a few programs I use very often.

My question is two fold. The SSD already has Win7 on it. I want to remove it (and the other files on it). How do I do this since the PC it was in bit the dust.

And is there a way to put Win10 onto the SSD without buying Win10 on my own? It's the same motherboard and stuff, just updating the hard drive... does that matter?

Solution

If the current used space on the 1TB is over 80GB, and you can't reduce it to that 80GB, then you're left with a clean install of Win 10 on the SSD.
Create your own Win 10 USB install. Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then, this:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

USAFRet

Titan

Depending on the relevant sizes, you can maybe do a clone directly from the current Win 10 drive to the new SSD.
You can't do just part of it.

1. How large is the old drive?
2. How much space is consumed on it?
3. What size is the new SSD?

Mar 17, 2018

The old drive (drive that came loaded with Win10) is a 1 TB HDD. My SSD (which currently has Win7 and other programs that I'd like to wipe clean) is a 120GB and nearly full..

USAFRet

Titan

If the current used space on the 1TB is over 80GB, and you can't reduce it to that 80GB, then you're left with a clean install of Win 10 on the SSD.
Create your own Win 10 USB install. Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then, this:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Solution
Mar 17, 2018

Thank you! I will follow these. Just to clarify as I read through, this will work with an OEM version of Win10? I don't have a disk or key code or anything like I've had with other systems in the past...

also, do I just format the SSD to clear it of the Win7 and other programs to make room?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes it works with an OEM license.
You're just reinstalling on a new drive, in the same system.

As for the contents of the SSD?
You delete those during the install process.
See Installation, Step 6 & 7.

Mar 17, 2018

Thank you so much for your help!
-A tired new mom of twins that just wants to get her game on every once in a while. <3

USAFRet

Titan

Twins...haha.
I have twins. Soon to be 34 yrs old.
It gets better. Just wait until they figure out they can tag team you, and keep you awake.

Good luck and congrats.