Keeping Windows for New PC

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
I want to build a new PC, however my budget is very small. I am trying to save money where I can and one of the most expensive things on the list is Windows 10. I already have one licensed version of Windows 10 x64 So if i unplugged the HDD that it is installed onto from my old Computer, Plugged it in to my New Computer, then reinstalled windows onto an SSD, would it work? Ive reinstalled windows alot on the same pc and it always keeps the license when i reinstall it so i presume it would to the same.

Solution

Not exactly.
Don't sell the old pc until you have transferred windows license to your new pc. New owner might be able to link the license to his windows account.
To transfer the license, you'll have to use windows activation troubleshooter. It doesn't happen automatically.

Deadskin

Honorable
Aug 11, 2016
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-link-your-windows-10-product-key-microsoft-account. Your going to want to make a Microsoft account, Then link it with your windows 10 liscense. After that you will be able to activate windows on your new pc with The Microsoft account. Also I'm not sure but you may have to format that drive before it works with your new pc. It's good to format the drive if it's going into a new pc anyways. Helps avoid any problems

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Okay so I already have that linked. Does that mean if i completely format my old HDD and then sell the computer with a non activated version of Windows to someone, then I install Windows on my new PC and simply sign in to my microsoft account it will be activated? Correct me if im wrong. And if that is the case then that has made it pretty easy.

Not exactly.
Don't sell the old pc until you have transferred windows license to your new pc. New owner might be able to link the license to his windows account.
To transfer the license, you'll have to use windows activation troubleshooter. It doesn't happen automatically.

Solution