HD 6950 Issues in ASUS Board

Smack2k

Honorable
Aug 14, 2016
Have an HD 6950 (old, I know, I am into old computers, and this is as new as I get) that runs fine in my Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P board with a 600W PSU, but when I went to swap it out with a GeForce 660 on my ASUS M3N72-D board with a 700W PSU, machine comes on, post beep is heard, but no video...

On both systems, 2 6-Pin Power Are used and the card starts and fans spin...but no video on the ASUS. I have even used same monitor and DVI Cable in testing it.

Wanting to get the ASUS into the one PC so I can take the 660 for an SLI build I want to do.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Did you remove the nVidia GPU drivers before installing the AMD card?

Which "600W" and "700W" PSUs are we talking about? The wattage from the label really means nothing.

Not saying it is a power limitation, but a 660 is a 140W TDP card, a 6950 is a 200W card (IIRC). Could be borderline if the "700W PSU" is junk/mislabelled.

Smack2k

Honorable
Aug 14, 2016
I did remove the Nvidia drivers before Installing the 6950. it doesn't even get to post screen, nothing comes up video wise

The PSU is a Rosewill 700W and the 600W is a Corsair

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Specific models? While I can' think of any Rosewill's or Corsair units that shouldn't at least post with a 6950, their budget models are far from the best.
Add a few years of load/use, and they may not be able to run a 6950, explaining the lack of display out.

Again, not convinced it's a power issue, but it's a possibility.

The fact you get the successful "one beep" post though, is a little concerning.
Try leaving the 6950 installed, but connect the onboard GPU on the ASUS M3N72-D...... is there video out from it?

Smack2k

Honorable
Aug 14, 2016

No there is no onboard GPU with that board unfortunately. It has another PCI-E slot and PCI slots. If hooked up an older PCI video card, and got it to post (with the 6950 still in as well) what should I look for? The 6950 has HDMI out but I don't think the BIOS is defaulting to that as the 660 is DVI and it comes right up using the same PcI-e slot

The PSU is about 6 years old as well. I can find the exact part number

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

There certainly should be:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3N72D/specifications/
Integrated NVIDIA GeForce® 8 Series GPU

The HDMI vs DVI shouldn't be a concern - the BIOS doesn't control that.... at least, not directly.

If another card is providing video "out", while the 6950 is installed (I assume in the primary slot), then the 6950 is not being detected.

That's either a problem with the card, the slot, or the power available to the card.