Can only run one monitor at a time (both DVI) on GTX 780 - Issue at DVI-I port?

Mar 19, 2018
I've been having this problem since the last windows update and a coincidental lightning strike.

The two monitors occupying the DVI ports on the graphics card now refuse to display at the same time.

Currently the monitor (1) in the DVI-I port runs during POST but then enters power saving mode once the OS is loaded. This is then when monitor 2 in the DVI-D port comes to life and displays the desktop as normal.

Monitor 1 (DVI-I) can load up in safe mode and even display normally in native resolution after scrubbing the Nvidia drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller, but loses signal as soon as the latest display drivers are installed. Again this is when monitor 2 (DVI-D) suddenly lights up and this time displays as if its in extended display mode as "Desktop 2". Getting to "Desktop 1" requires the switching of the DVI cables at the ports. Nvidia control panel and windows both 'detect' the monitor plugged in the DVI-I port but cannot display it.

I've tried removing the graphics drivers with DDU and reinstalling them in safe mode but to no avail. Switching the monitors yields no difference, as does trying to extend the monitors with win+P.

Could damage on the GTX 780 cause this issue?

At my wit's end here. Please help.

Specifications
- Win10 64bit
- GeForce GTX 780 (driver 391.01)
- GA AB350 Gaming 3 Motherboard
- Ryzen 5 1600
- Samsung SyncMaster P2370
- DELL E2210

Mar 19, 2018

Yea, something must be faulty.

HDMI - DVI adapter provides a solution.