Rebuild installed Windows 10 help needed.

fireblazin

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
First of my native language is German not English. So I may not write very good. Please understand this is the best I can do. I need some advice on user profiles on my PC. I got affected by the corrupted windows update which left me with the inaccessible boot drive. Got stuck with the windows stop blue death screen loop error.

Microsoft helped me by doing the rebuild windows and keep my files option.

Well now I have 2 user accounts the administrator one which was the only one at set up time while getting PC back up right after the rebuild. Now it's showing my old user profile, files and administrator one at login/entering password option.

I researched and seen posts where it says I should not be under the administrator user profile. I set it all up there after the rebuild. So when I select the other it has my old files on the desktop and rebuilds windows with none of my stuff I just reinstalled under the other profile.

I really do not want to start all back over. Microsoft support said it don’t really matter I can stay in the administrator one since that’s where all was set up after the rebuild was complete. Is that true or not? Also since the rebuild I cant wake my PC from the sleep/hibernate option with my mouse or keyboard. I have to press the power button which I do not like doing. If anyone can advice on both these issue Id really appreciate it.

edit: added spacing to make it easier to read <Colif>

Solution
You seem pretty good with PC, why pay someone else to reinstall win 10? If you have somewhere to copy the files you want to keep right now - so any documents, pictures, movies, etc that you don't want to lose - like a USB drive or 2nd PC/hdd. You can make a Win 10 installer yourself and fix it without paying that much?

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Once you have copied everything off PC you want to keep, put Win 10 usb into drive and do this
Go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart PC button
this loads a Blue menu on startup
choose Use a device
pick USB from listing and PC will boot from it

follow this guide...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your English isn't that bad :)

its likely both users are actually admin accounts unless you made a local user. So there is nothing wrong with using admin accounts, you just don't use the built in admin account.

You should be able to copy the contents of c:\users\username of either user onto other and give it access to all the other files. I had to replace my user last year and all I did was create a new user, make it admin, and copy the folders from one user to another to give it access to everything. I don't know what that will do to an already existing user though, it should just copy the contents in and not over write anything, but I don't know for sure.

what i would do is create a new local account, make it admin and copy contents of both users folders onto it and see what access it has, as an experiment - beats breaking anything you currently using - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026923/windows-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-10

fireblazin

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Thank you for your help. How does one tell if that profile I am using is the actual internal administrator one? Both the ones I use look alike. I was told told the one I am not supposed to use is usually hidden.
Thank you for helping with all this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start
choose run...
type netplwiz and press enter

Can you show a screenshot of the front page? upload to an image sharing web site like imgur and show a link here. It might tell use which users you are using. Not sure if it shows the built in admin as I can't see it in my list.

fireblazin

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

fireblazin

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

I just signed up real quick hope the images will show. Kind of odd one cant just add one here...lol.
I have in the meanwhile deleted that user profile with the names it was a local one. Using the one that just says administrator. Hope it was the right choice that is the one I set up everything after the rebuild was complete. Still no clue why I ended up with that second one after an hp update. Thanks for helping me.

https://imgur.com/f9y2DW5
https://imgur.com/q2LUM0r
https://imgur.com/5o3a2W3
https://imgur.com/oCtDDn2

Colif

Win 11 Master
Okay, I should have just suggested this

Open command prompt (admin)
type wmic useraccount list full and press enter

this is a list of all users on PC, the very first one should have description "Built in account for administering the computer. I had more than I was expecting. You can also save the results as a text file on desktop

(To save results to a "UserAccountsDetails.txt" file on your desktop)
wmic useraccount list full >"%userprofile%\Desktop\UserAccountDetails.txt"

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3443-view-user-account-details-windows-10-a.html

simple way to tell is, can you open settings menu? if Yes, then its just a user called Administrator, not the built in one. The built in one can't access settings menus

fireblazin

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

fireblazin

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

fireblazin

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Colif thanks for all you help. I really wish I could add pictures in here to show what I am seeing because I don’t understand any of it...lol. Could not figure out how to safe a text file of the listed stuff. I did what you said. this is what the very first one says. I am concerned about the password changing part is that normal or do I need to take my pc to get looked at? When you say If I can get to settings do you mean by clicking the windows button and the settings wheel/tool icon? If yes, I can get into that If no then I don’t know what you mean. There were 4 total rest said for status degraded.

Trying with the User name command it showed the following for first account.
C;\Users\Administrator>net user “administrator”
User name Administrator
Full Name Spot was blank
Comment Built-in account for administering the computer domain
Users comment Spot was blank
Country/region code 000 (System Default)
Account active yes
Account expires never

Password last set 3/10/2018 4:28:14 PM
Password expires 4/10/2018 same time listed
Password changeable same as set date
Password required yes
User may change password yes

Workstation allowed All
Logon script was blank
User profile was blank
Home directory was blank
Last log on 3/23/2018 1:00;16 Pm
Logon hours allowed All
Local group memberships *Administrators
Global Group membership *None
The command completed successfully.

Then user account list full way it said the following:
Account type=522
Description=Built-in account for administering the computer /domain
Disabled=False
Domain=Desktop (had numbers not adding in case of identifying security safety)
FullName= was blank
InstallDate was blank
LocalAccount=TRUE
Lockout=FALSE
Name=Administrator
PassworChangable=TRUE
PasswordExpire=TRUE
PassworRequired=TRUE
SID=S- had numbers (not adding in case of identifying security safety)
SIDType+1
Status=OK

Colif

Win 11 Master
it looks to me that the Administrator account you are using is indeed the Built in admin.
This is my top user
Description=Built-in account for administering the computer/domain
Disabled=TRUE
Domain= my name
FullName=
InstallDate=
LocalAccount=TRUE
Lockout=FALSE
Name=Administrator
PasswordChangeable=TRUE
PasswordExpires=FALSE
PasswordRequired=TRUE
SID= numbers
SIDType=1
Status=Degraded

the bolded words are the differences, my built in adminaccount is disabled and status is degraded. Password isn't set either

I didn't get any of this
Password last set 3/10/2018 4:28:14 PM
Password expires 4/10/2018 same time listed
Password changeable same as set date
Password required yes
User may change password yes

Workstation allowed All
Logon script was blank
User profile was blank
Home directory was blank
Last log on 3/23/2018 1:00;16 Pm
Logon hours allowed All
Local group memberships *Administrators
Global Group membership *None
The command completed successfully.

I would create a new User and use it instead as if the in built one stops working, your only choice is a fresh install

fireblazin

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

fireblazin

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Thanks for you help. So could this mean my PC was compromised? Microsoft is the one that walked me through the rebuild over the phone? Ugh really hoped this was not the case gonna have to pay $100 to get this fixed then start all over again with setting up the PC.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You seem pretty good with PC, why pay someone else to reinstall win 10? If you have somewhere to copy the files you want to keep right now - so any documents, pictures, movies, etc that you don't want to lose - like a USB drive or 2nd PC/hdd. You can make a Win 10 installer yourself and fix it without paying that much?

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Once you have copied everything off PC you want to keep, put Win 10 usb into drive and do this
Go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart PC button
this loads a Blue menu on startup
choose Use a device
pick USB from listing and PC will boot from it

follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here).

If you have any problems, just ask me

Solution

fireblazin

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Only good at it a small bit cause people like you helping. I asked a computer guy at the store i got the PC from. He said all I have to do is reinstall from the PC I have under the troubleshoot menu. I might just lave it as is and hope for the best.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you keep all your files copied elsewhere so if it falls apart you can recover easy, running as is shouldn't be a problem'

Can you get into the settings menus? i know you said you can see the choice, but can you open them?
neZQMYv.jpg

if you can get into this menu and make changes, there is no real need to swap. That is the menu the built in admin shouldn't be able to access, but if you can, you might be okay now.