computer chassis is energized if monitor cable is plugged in

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
I have a ViewSonic VA1938w-LED monitor. If I unplug the computer, plug in the monitor to an outlet, and connect the monitor cable to a desktop (no keyboard, no mouse), the desktop chassis is energized, as indicated by a lighted neon light tester, even if the monitor is not turned on.

If I take another monitor of the same model, plug in to another computer (different monitor, though same brand and model, different cable, different computer), again, the chassis is energized.

I wonder if this behavior is by design.

Solution
Here's what's going on. With the two prong plug, the chassis wasn't grounded. There is current leaking to the chassis somewhere. This causes the voltage on the chassis to depart from ground and the chassis becomes energized.

When you used the 3 prong plug...you grounded the chassis so it can't become energized.

...and you are right about the leakage current is now flowing to ground....but it is most likely VERY small. I wouldn't be concerned. This could almost be called "normal".....which is one of the reasons the chassis is grounded to begin with.

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014

The only thing that was plugged in was the monitor. So, power must have gone from the monitor through the monitor cable to the desktop. Was there another way the computer could have gotten power? I can't see any other way.

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014

I checked the power cable. It has a two-prone plug. Obviously, the computer cannot be grounded. Even so, I wonder if the computer is designed in such a way that a low voltage is fed to the chassis.

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
I changed the power cord to one with a 3-prone plug. Now, the chassis is no longer energized.

Still, should the chassis be energized if the computer is not grounded? I don't know but I doubt it.What about all the energy that goes to the ground? That's a pure waste, isn't it?

Here's what's going on. With the two prong plug, the chassis wasn't grounded. There is current leaking to the chassis somewhere. This causes the voltage on the chassis to depart from ground and the chassis becomes energized.

When you used the 3 prong plug...you grounded the chassis so it can't become energized.

...and you are right about the leakage current is now flowing to ground....but it is most likely VERY small. I wouldn't be concerned. This could almost be called "normal".....which is one of the reasons the chassis is grounded to begin with.

Solution