Cheap Plug and Play Graphics Card?

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
Hello. I was going to get a new graphics card for my PC. I was going to get the GTX 1050 but the ones I can afford require a PCI-E connector. However, I just found out that I can't do that. I am looking for something better than my AMD Radeon R7 250. (Motherboard:https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128602) I have $170 to spend. Something around that range even a little higher may do. Thanks in advance. -Brandon

Whats your psu? If your psu doesn't have a pcie 6 pin then that most liekly points to it being dangerous garbage to your pc and adding in a more powerhungry gpu could make the psu fail and kill your pc.

So pleas list full system specs for the best gpu you can get and list your psu in detail (model, name, ...).

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018

My PSU isn't a bad PSU. By "I can't do that" I mean that I can't get to it. My computer was prebuilt and there is this solid metal casing around the hard drive and psu area. I searched how to get it off and the only results were to pry off the circular bolts on it.

Whats the case? Might just be that you are missing something obivous. SInce a prebuilt is still built by humans they need a way to get to the cables.

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018

I dont know what the case is. It's custom-made for the PC build. All I know is its made by CyberpowerPC. I dont know nothin bout them.

Cyberpower always uses basic readily available cases that are out on the market but slightly modified to display their brand. These are made to be easily upgradeable since they use 1 case for easily 50+ different configs.

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
I can post a picture of the encasing around it if you'd like. It has the circular bolts and people similar said that you have to pry them off. If you can find a way not to do that and get it open that would be much appreciated!

jr9

Estimable
You are looking at either a GTX 1050 or a GT 1030. A GT 1030 would still be faster than a R7 250 by about 70% overall but if it's for gaming I'd recommend a GTX 1050 (200% faster overall) in your budget range. You can get certain GTX 1050 for under $170. Most GTX 1050 and GT 1030 cards do not require additional PCIe connectors like this one. Unless your PSU is under 300W you would be fine with a GTX 1050. Make sure you buy one which doesn't require a PCIe connector as some high power ones do.

If your PSU doesn't have PCIe connectors I don't recommend buying any card more powerful without first upgrading the PSU. I don't recommend using molex adapters either. If your PSU doesn't have the PCIe plugs then it can't handle the card.

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018

Hello again. I found these 2 screws and a metal lip where you can open the back of the computer. I unscrewed it and I saw this cable. It looked like a PCI-E cable. I looked on the side of it and it says that. Why is that there? For a possible upgrade? If so then why is it put behind the motherboard? https://imgur.com/a/aFQes

Thats a pcie 6+2pin connector. It's put there to be out of the way of the other components. If you unravel the cablemess you can plug it in to a the card.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah thats there ready for a graphics card if you need it.

So yeah you can go for a low-mid card that requires a 6 or 8 pin connection (thats a 6+2, so can be either).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

If you didn't specify a specific PSU when building a rig with Cyberpower, it's totally a bad PSU.

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018

I didn't build the PC WITH them I bought it pre-built. I can't choose parts for them to use when they pre-built it. If you want I can give you the link to where I got it. I could be bad or good. Idk.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

If you were never in a position to choose, you almost always have the bog standard PSU they throw into rigs. Almost entirely cheap junk that only needs to last as long as your warranty does.

Without detailed PSU information, most people, myself included, will be reluctant to start making GPU recommendations. While a 1030 is so light that you're probably fine, I don't like to make those kinds of statements without knowing all the facts on the ground.