Attempted_Write_to_ReadOnly_Memory - AMD Ryzen 1700 - Asrock AB350 Pro4

TachyonParticle

Honorable
Jul 11, 2016
Just the day after I updated the BIOS of Asrock AB350 Pro4 from 4.60 to 4.70. I just had this BSOD called "Attempted_Write_to_ReadOnly_Memory". I did a quick research and it says it was caused by overclocking the memory or CPU, but I did not overclock anything. Everything is in stock configuration.

iRL0wAf.png

minidump: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0cvxwdv7eri47dd/032018-8062-01.dmp

Solution
I would focus on finding out what this driver is for:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Drivers\X6va065 Sun Oct 22 21:02:41 2017
------------
looks like chrome cleanup tool ran
Software_reporter_tool.exe

something tried to allocate some virtual memory, then tried to protect it and then tried to write to it and got the bugcheck.

I think the app is located in a hidden directory
%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter

I would delete it or just uninstall chrome and reinstall a current version. I would also make sure that the app is not being run by the windows task scheduler.
you should know if you triggered the execution when if you told chrome to cleanup history or delete temp internet files.

looks like you have special drivers...
I would focus on finding out what this driver is for:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Drivers\X6va065 Sun Oct 22 21:02:41 2017
------------
looks like chrome cleanup tool ran
Software_reporter_tool.exe

something tried to allocate some virtual memory, then tried to protect it and then tried to write to it and got the bugcheck.

I think the app is located in a hidden directory
%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter

I would delete it or just uninstall chrome and reinstall a current version. I would also make sure that the app is not being run by the windows task scheduler.
you should know if you triggered the execution when if you told chrome to cleanup history or delete temp internet files.

looks like you have special drivers installed from Kaspersky
one of these driver may have messed up the virtual memory system and caused this problem
( I can not tell, just FYI)
System Uptime: 1 days 11:50:19.942

you also have some custom drivers running, I have no idea what this driver does. not listed on google
\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Drivers\X6va065 Sun Oct 22 21:02:41 2017
(this file is highly suspect as it does not have the standard file extension name of .sys and it is being run out of a windows on windows subsystem)

it could also be a bug in your Samsung SSD Magician software or the firmware of a SSD
you should look for a update to the software and firmware to the SSD from Samsung.

also with the ryzen CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor ) you have updated the BIOS but you have to update all of the motherboard drivers and the OS to the current version.
since, the bios and drivers will provide workarounds for bugs found in the CPU logic.
IE apply current bios, then motherboard driver updates then windows updates to get to the current windows build. (windows has a CPU microcode update that they install for known bugs in the CPU)

Solution

TachyonParticle

Honorable
Jul 11, 2016
^ that was astute observation.
"looks like chrome cleanup tool ran
Software_reporter_tool.exe"
BSOD happened when I was browsing using Chrome. I am going to reinstall it immediately.

It's true, I am running Kaspersky Internet Security, gotta be careful with ransomware and cryptominers :D

"this file is highly suspect as it does not have the standard file extension name of .sys and it is being run out of a windows on windows subsystem)"
I have VMware installed here.

I am thinking that AMD Ryzen chipset has a problem with Samsung SSD magician recently. SSD magician was perfectly running (features are enabled) when I have 3.00-3.30 BIOS from ASrock. After I updated to 3.40, a lot of features in SSD magician software were suddenly grayed-out (disabled).

Currently the BIOS installed here is the latest one 4.70, released march 6, 2018. but the AMD chipset in this machine wasn't updated for 3 months. I will download the latest amd chipset after I submit this post.