Do I need to connect both HDMI 2.0 ports to my GPU for LG24UD58 monitor?

Mar 8, 2018
Hi! Although I know that HDMI 2.0 port supports 4k@60fps, yet I have one doubt regarding it. Recently, I was thinking of purchasing a LG 24UD58 4k monitor which has 1 DP 1.2 and 2 HDMI 2.0 ports. The reviews I read said that 4k@60 fps works with DP 1.2 but when the reviewers connect HDMI 2.0 to GPU it only gives 4k output at 30 fps and you have to connect both HDMI 2.0 ports to your GPU to enjoy 4k @60fps. Is this true? Can anyone verify as such?

Solution
THIS may be the source of confusion:
"It's not true, because it supports 60Hz 4k over HDMI only if device supports "LG Ultra HD deep colour", but most of video adapters don't. I just got this monitor and it works only with one of four adapters. All these adapters are HDMI 2.0 compatible and they work just fine with my 4K TV. "

I really don't understand that at all.

So if you have DISPLAYPORT v1.2 or higher it's a non-issue. Somebody said they got 30FPS with HDMI until they went into the monitor settings and changed it to the above "Deepcolor" mode (which appears to be the same or similar to HDR so possibly older game consoles or graphics cards won't support this but XBOX ONE/PS4 and HDR-compatible graphics cards do?)

So yes...
something doesn't make sense here.

What GRAPHICS CARD do you have?

As long as the GPU supports DP1.2 or HDMI 2.0 you can just use that with an appropriate cable.

I'll look up the details of that specific monitor to see what's going on about dual inputs (if a thing, and if so that would be two DIFFERENT cards likely) but again just get a card if you don't already which meets the requirement for either DP or HDMI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Go down about half way and find the chart with RESOLUTIONS. You can see that 4K@60Hz just needs HDMI 2.0 or higher.

That means the following hardware is required:
1) monitor using HDMI 2.0 input
2) HDMI cable v2.0 or higher (though lower rating MIGHT work)
3) GPU output HDMI 2.0 or higher

SPECS are for a reason. They help ensure things work together. So if there's some 30FPS issue requiring multiple HDMI 2.0 inputs that makes no sense to me.

If you have a reference link it.

THIS may be the source of confusion:
"It's not true, because it supports 60Hz 4k over HDMI only if device supports "LG Ultra HD deep colour", but most of video adapters don't. I just got this monitor and it works only with one of four adapters. All these adapters are HDMI 2.0 compatible and they work just fine with my 4K TV. "

I really don't understand that at all.

So if you have DISPLAYPORT v1.2 or higher it's a non-issue. Somebody said they got 30FPS with HDMI until they went into the monitor settings and changed it to the above "Deepcolor" mode (which appears to be the same or similar to HDR so possibly older game consoles or graphics cards won't support this but XBOX ONE/PS4 and HDR-compatible graphics cards do?)

So yes, confusing.

If this is a PC graphics card I think anything with HDMI 2.0 would likely work such as a GTX1050Ti (any card that says 4K@60Hz should also support HDR).

LAPTOPS might be problematic since many use an Intel iGPU until a game/application kicks in that instead uses an AMD or NVidia GPU.

Solution