windows 10 radeon rx580 monitor blinking black (or green*) after an idle period.

Okrim_

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 13 CO 4.0 CFM Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.19 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - H270 GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($94.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($184.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 4GB NITRO+ Video Card
Case: Corsair - SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell - SE2717H 27.0" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor ($175.88 @ B&H)
Total: $944.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-21 06:06 EDT-0400

monitor set to 75hz and freesync (i recently changed monitor so it's the first time i'm using freesync) monitor drivers ARE installed. i always power off the monitor even if the windows sleep mode for the monitor is enabled
i still not sure when this happens, but, i saw it always after a period of not touching the computer. when in use no problems. power saving mode: the pc never hybernate, it just shuts down the monitor after 10 mins)

my whole screen is blinking black for a second, then returning on, but with another second of input lag, i can easily see it trying to moving the mouse (it will not move for a second) then the monitor stays on for 3/4 seconds and goes back to black again, and the loop continues.

if i try to change resolution or refresh rate, the monitor flashes green instead of black unplugging the cable wont do a thing, only rebooting will resolve the issue... for a while. it usually happens after 30/40 mins of idle. hdmi connection.

the only change "i made" to the pc righr before the issue appeared is a windows update

i tried:

uninstalling radeon video drivers with guru ddu in safe mode, then reinstall the non beta version (i had the beta)
uninstalling radeon video drivers with amd clean uninstall utility, then reinstall the stable version (after this i could did not see the problem after a whole night of idle, then again the blinking)
tried changing monitor sleep from 10 mins to never sleep.
disabled hdd sleep in power saving mode
disabled two error windows reporting services from msconfig (also got speechruntime.exe error)
reenabled them
uninstalling the security patches installed right before i noticed the problem (here something wierd happened, at reboot the monitor osd shows up a message of unsupported resolution, but it just starts as normal..)
reinstalled updates
chenged hdmi cable (i cannot connect via vga, the only other port the display has)
disabled c-state from uefi
reenabled c-state
sfc /scannnow
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
disabled chrome automatically running in background
disabled xmp ram profile from uefi
uninstalled live update 6, nahimic and killer lan
the problem keeps coming back after 30/40 mins or less.

but after the last 3 points i was able to keep the pc in idle for almost 2 days checking 3/4 times per day. i believed to have solved the problem thinking the culprit wasthe xmp profile, but it started again.

the only thing i did right before the screen started blinking again, was opening chrome, then closing it (and no background process active, in the systray at least, pity me i didn't check the in the task manager) could it be it..? how?

i also tried running windows hardware troubleshooter but i get the error: 0x8000FFFF

all other troubleshootings are working

video of the issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KDi9EDnYmg

when in use no problems even under stress. i played rise of the tomb rider, almost everything on max except for textures and antialiasing, and i could go on more than 3 hourhs without any issue

could be an hardware problem? i don't think it is the monitor because of the lag and the green screen, but i'm not sure. gpu problem? gpu + monitor problem? or even power supply problem? eco mode on. just windows messed up? i think i'm going to reinstall the whole system. hoping it is a software problem

never had issues till last week

thanks and sorry for the long post...

Okrim_

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

thanks for reading!

i figured something out! the issue it is triggered when i shut down and power on again the monitor. and only when the amd drivers are loaded (everything is fine in the bios and when i uninstall the drivers) i can solve it rebooting the pc. changing the hdmi cable or disconnecting it wont solve it.

another thing, maybe important: the windows hardware troubleshooter gives me the error 0x8000FFFF only when amd drivers are installed. i tried 4 different versions of the drivers (one older , 2 beta and the current stable) and it is always the same. (monitor blinking after power off and on, and windows troubleshoot error)

if i use the second hdmi port on the gpu while the monitor is blinking, the blinking disappears until i power off and on again the monitor. then i can plug in any of the 2 ports and the blinking occours until reboot (or driver uninstallation)

i need to buy an adapter for vga input, but i have an older machine at my parents house. when i'm able to grab it i'll try moving gpu and monitor to that system.

could it be windows 10 fault?

Doubt it's Windows. It only happens with the AMD drivers, right? Are both HDMI cables you tried the same brand?
When you went back to the older driver, did you just pick the last one? Maybe try one from 6-8 months ago...?

If it only happens when power is turned off try leaving the power on. Just put the monitor to sleep after 20 mins.

Okrim_

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

only with amd drivers, cable from 2 completely different manufacturers. and i did not try drivers older than a november 2017 release (from automatic windows installation). i can live with the windows powersaving sleep. i'm just a bit concerned it could be a hardware issue. if it is just software i'll live with it... i need a way to find out with my resources

Okrim_

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
update, i asked amd and they told me to change gpu. i tried to RMA. the new one works just like the old one. everything is perfect aside from the blinking. maybe monitor and gpu aren't fond of each other. i'll live with it. still i'm not shure why this happens.