is it possible to attach bigger screen to lvds port? with same resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda369

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Hi, everyone I need to know that if we can connect a 17 or 19 or 21 inch led backlit display to a laptop lvds port from laptop motherboard. The port I'm going to use is like this below one

sony-vaio-lvds-cable-ffc.jpg

Example: Lets say I have a dell or lenovo laptop with 1080p display 15.6inch model. And I want to connect a 17.3 or 19 inch laptop screen from old dell laptops or a old imac display panel from 21inch imac with an lvds cable. I am thinking the port is able to provide the power for the display. The resolution is either 1080p or 720p. what issues may arise. is it possible to use it like this. This is a test project for me. If you are confused please read below.

• 1) Resolution will be same as original display if the laptop has native resolution of 1366x768 i will use a screen with this resolution.
    2) I am not going to use any controller board for this experiment.
    3) I will use the port on the motherboard only. either it maybe dual line lvds or single
    4) This is an experimental project. So I need all the facts. What problems may I get or perks.
    5) If its not possible please share the details why?

If my question confuses you the "displays" will look like below

17.3inch led backlit lcd
N7110_jaqi-48_1024x1024.jpeg

19inch led backlit lcd
18-5-inch-tft-lcd-panel-m185bge-l23-lcd-display.jpg

21inch led backlit lcd
20150714162800_11242.jpg

I am open to all suggestions and your valuable inputs. Please respond and an advanced thank you to all.

I am not sure about the specs of an LVDS port. I think that if the screen is self powered and the resolution is the same then you ought not to have issues plugging a large screen into the port. If the LVDS port is just a variation of the HDMI or DVI port then you should be able to plug in any screen and the graphics processor should be able to sense the correct resolution.

You will need to verify the pinout of the screen will match the connector you have.

yoda369

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018

LVDS out port like the 1st image.It is a video out port from the laptop mother board to laptop's built in display. usually all laptop's led/lcd screens use this port for video signal and power. But your answer has partly supported my theory. That I need to use external power source. The thing is usually all displays under 19inch use one single cable for power and video signal. And yes the pins on mother board and display are same.

Reactions: adamiano
Status
Not open for further replies.