i7 8700k Motherboard

Mar 19, 2018
I am looking for a good motherboard for new computer I am building with the 8700k. Some of the things I need are the following:

usb 3.1 port
good amount of sata ports
good amount of fan headers
rbg/fan control
good OC software

I was looking to get the asus rog maximus X code but for $300 it seems a little pricey. I then found the ASRock LGA 1151 for $100 less and it seems to be the same. And for $100 less than that I found the ASRock Z370 EXTREME4. Which board is the best of these or are there any others I should be considering? I don't mind paying extra if there is value in it.

What's the Asus Z370 Prime variant cost, $150?

https://www.amazon.com/PRIME-LGA1151-Motherboard-Generation-Processors/dp/B075RJHN2D/ref=sr_1_2?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1521744979&sr=8-2&keywords=Asus+Z370+Prime

Hard to imagine what 'critical required/wanted features' it could be missing for 99% of most users...

If you require a bunch of fancy "gaming" monikers to think it 'feels faster', those variants they are out there at between $250-$399 cost, but, good luck exceeding the Prime's performance...in anything.

(Many like integrated WiFi, but, I use 1 GB wired, so would never go out of my way to pay $150 extra to then intentionally have a feature completely unused anyway...)

from Amazon:

Designed exclusively for 8th generation Intel Core processors to maximize connectivity and speed with Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Gen2, Intel Thunderbolt 3 support and Intel Optane Memory compatibility
5-Way Optimization with Auto-Tuning and FanXpert 4 automatically tailors overclocking profiles to your unique build for maximum OC performance and dynamic system cooling
Unmatched Personalization with ASUS exclusive AURA Sync RGB lighting, additional RGB header and 3D-printing mounts; Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 4096 x 2304 @ 60 Hz
Two Patent-pending Safe Slots feature an injection molding process that integrates metal framing for a stronger, firmly anchored PCIe slot built for heavyweight GPUs
Industry-leading 8-channel HD audio enhanced by ASUS exclusive Realtek S1220A featuring Crystal Sound 3 and driven by Japanese capacitors for warm, immersive sound