Crash during PUBG, GPU being cooky since

Mar 22, 2018
Hiya everyone!

I enjoy playing PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds from time to time, on low/ultra-low to not push my self-built rig from 2013 too hard. My specs are Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHZ, 8 GBs of RAM, and 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. My graphics card is an Asus hd7850 dcuii and predates the other components as it was the only thing I got second hand.

While having PUBG open a crash seemed to have occured while I was AFK; upon return, the screen was black with gray vertical stripes and a loud monotonous tone coming from my audio device. I rebooted my machine and noticed temperatures for my CPU temperatures were rather high, opting to leave the PC to cool down for a while.

Upon booting up once more, I got past the Windows screen, but was then faced with a black screen, cursor not visible. Surmising the issue to be related to the videocard and/or drivers, I booted into safe mode, and deinstalled the drivers with the downloadable tool AMD provides. This did not solve the issue upon a subsequent boot, so I installed the latest drivers off AMD's website. Again no dice, so I deinstalled all AMD drivers, and opened up my case.

Cleaned out the dust buildup (very little as I clean my case every half year, the last time being a months or 2 ago), cracked open the GPU, cleaned it, applied some new thermal paste, and closed things up again.

This seemed to have an effect, as my PC now boots to its regular mode with no issues, rather than only being able to operate in safe mode. However, when I reinstall AMD drivers and reboot, the same issue (get past the windows screen, then black screen with no cursor) persists again.

This has left me rather stumped, not sure whether to blame the GPU unit itself or the drivers. All I know is the former might just be dying after years of use, while the latter seems to be the express cause of the black screen without cursor. The final thing to note is that, when I run dxdiag via Windows + R, no graphics card is found.

Any suggestions or comments would be very welcome, and I am happy to supply more information if necessary :)