Which gtx 1070 ti brand?

Mar 19, 2018
I have an old GPU 7900 series AMD and am ready to make the move to a Nvidia. I was hoping to get a gtx 1080ti but the current prices are outrageous at $1200 and $1300. I found some 1070ti for $600 but not sure which brand is better:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti SC GAMING
or
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
"Brand" alone doesn't matter too, too much.
At their core, they use the same GPU die. So, you're really looking at the difference in clock speeds from the factory, cooling method used, and customer service/warranty*.

With a 1070TI, clocks are the same.... so you're down to cooling & CS.

IMO, EVGAs card has the better cooler.... although neither are "bad" by any means.

On top of that, there's a bit more to EVGA to consider:
*EVGA have their 'step up' program - a potential 'value add'.
https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

They also have B-Stock... sometimes.
Note that you're considering/comparing 1070TIs with an MSRP of $450 for $600 (+33%).
EVGA have "B-Stock", repaired/refurbed etc.... 1080TIs for $870 (+24% vs $700 MSRP) when they come in.... so might want to sign up for their notices
https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080+Ti

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
If I were buying a 1070 ti I would go with one of the EVGA cards using the ICX cooler such as the SC2 assuming they aren't ridiculously expensive at the moment. They have an overbuilt VRM and just everything on the PCB in general, thermal pads between the main heatsink and everything hat produces heat on the card, and thermal sensors for the VRM and memory.

But like barty said they all use the same GPU core and will perform within a few percent of each other.

gosubuilder

Commendable
Apr 21, 2017

I wish I had gone with AMD instead of nvidia for the simple fact that freesync monitors are so much cheaper! usually $200 or more cheaper than their g-sync counterpart monitors.

And, lot more options for freesync monitors from what i've seen.

I'm a long time MSI fan and loyalist. I've never had a poor experience with any of their products from a build or performance standpoint. They arguably make the best coolers on the market when it comes to GPUs. Everyone will have their preference, but you'd be good with either of those choices.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Pros and Cons to each, but FS is an attractive proposition.

While Freesync is cheaper, the overall cost of entry can be in the same ballpark..

An RX580 ($250ish MSRP) isn't going to cut it for maxed out titles >60Hz 1080p, depending on the title, of course...... CFx is a possibility, making it say $500 for GPUs and a minimal surcharge on a monitor.

Vs something like a 1070 ($380ish MSRP) + $200 or so markup for G-Sync. Less hassle with a single GPU solution, comparable/better performance (depending on the title etc), for similar enough money.

For 60Hz 1080p, less demanding titles, or gamers who are happy to lower settings etc, FreeSync can be a great deal.

Mar 19, 2018
What about getting the Nvidia founders edition 1080 if its cheaper than one of these other brands 1070ti? Is there any value in that or would everyone just stay away from the founders due to poor cooling and lack of factory OC?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A solid overclocked 1070TI will rival/beat a FE 1080.

If a FE 1080 is cheaper, it's a very valid consideration (IMO). Sure, they run warmer, and probably won't have as much OCing headroom.... but a very, very solid card. In todays market, i'd suggest focusing on the value proposition. If a 1080 FE is cheaper than a 1070TI and will perform about the same (stock 1080 FE vs AiB 1070TI), the FE 1080 makes a lot of sense.