PC Blank screen and audio cut at start up. Require assistance.

nerroseu

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
Goodday, I have recently encountered an issue with my PC and I am at utter loss how to troubleshoot it. I don’t want to call a technician just yet. My PC screen and audio cuts when I first switch on my computer and it is now booting up (approximately 2 minutes into booting up while loading GPU Tweak 2, NZXT CAM software etc.). I usually end up having to turn off the PSU switch as holding down the power button doesn’t work. I did indeed overclock my CPU to 3.9GHz at first and thought it was an overclocking instability, although, I was very confident that it was stable as followed a lot of advises online in terms of adjusting the voltages and LLC etc. So then I loaded optimized defaults for my CPU and with everything reset, the same problem occurred.

Now what is strange is that I observed the problem only occurs from a cold start. A cold start meaning that when I get home from work and switch on the computer, the problem occurs. When I go to switch off the PSU and switch it back on immediately, there is a low possibility that it occurs. I game (includes Battlefield 1, Doom, Wolfeinstein etc.) search the web for a couple hours or do anything stressful and the PC would run without any problems. I did cinebench, Prime95 for 2hours and no problems. From all my experience so far, problem occurs at the startup when the PC is off for a long time. I began to think it may be a low voltage issue so I swapped my voltage regulator/surge protector with a UPS and this didn’t fix anything yet again.

Thinking it is my PSU, I was looking at the 12V, 5V and other rails on HWinfo and another monitoring software, as well as, the BIOS and it was very close (about + or - 0.01V). I also checked my C:/Windows/Minidump/*.dmp folder to see if it was a software issue but this was not the case. Multiple hard restarts due to the same problem and the minidump folder is still empty.
Then I read that for this type of motherboard people were having some issues with OC under BIOS 3803. So I rolled back the BIOS to 3402. The problem still prevails.

My PC Build specs are as follows:-
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard: ASUS Prime X370 Pro
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold
RAM: Single stick of Patriot 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 17-17-17-17-39

I really do require some assistance, as I can’t source the problem. Honestly, the only additional device I recently obtained was the NZXT Hue+ right before I started to get these series of problems. I don’t know if they may be linked. Could it potentially be the PSU? Could it be the GPU? Or CMOS? Windows 10?

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Temperature having an affect on the failure usually indicates that it a hardware failure (broken solder joint). Any sort of program that "reads" the voltage from the power supply is not accurate, and not something you can rely on for diagnosing power supply issues. I'd start with finding a donor GPU (if you have an onboard, remove your card and run with that), then seeing if the system instability still occurs. GPU's tend to be the first ones that fail after time.

nerroseu

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017

nerroseu

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
I'm in the process of finding a donor GPU, however, though the problem may be a defective GPU (I have the GPU about 6 months now), I saw no artifact-ing or any strange video flickering and other behavior during any of my activities. Especially gameplay. Using MSI afterburner, GPU temperatures rarely exceed 65 degrees under the fan profile curve I set. It is just at initial start up when the problem arises.